Graduate Certificate Applicants
Carlson Certificate to Online MBA Application Process
Certificate Learners that have previously completed a Carlson Business Administration Graduate (Postbaccalaureate) Certificate can transfer the 12-13 credits completed in the certificate into the Part-Time MBA program to continue with the MBA curriculum.
Certificate learners will complete the Carlson Degree Application for Certificate Earners Form which will create a program application.
Carlson Certificate Earner to Online MBA Application Requirements
Candidates will be required to upload required materials for the program application process, including new essays, transcripts, employment information, and resume. Please note that Certificate Earners applicants will be waived of recommendations, video essay, application fees, and potentially GMAT/GRE scores requirements for this application process.
We want to admit a diverse, intellectually curious, and interesting group of students who will contribute to and benefit from the Carlson MBA Program. The personal statement helps the admissions committee get to know you better as an individual, and allows the committee to evaluate the extent to which your skills, interests, values, and career goals are well suited for the program. Your personal statement should be no more than 1200 words (3 pages), that address the following questions:
- Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA at this time in your career? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? Briefly describe your short-term (upon graduation from the program) and long-term (5-10 years after the program) career goals. Please be as specific as possible with roles, companies and/or industries.
- What excites you about being part of the Carlson School MBA program? Do you have a specialization that you are currently interested in and why?
- Carlson MBA programs are looking for diverse voices and experiences to add to classroom discussions. Can you tell us about how you have participated in and/or advocated for building more inclusive communities in your career?
- Candidates will verify their academic credentials from their certificate application
- Candidates will be required to upload a transcript of their University of Minnesota certificate coursework
- If a candidate has taken any additional coursework since their certificate application, additional transcripts will be required
- Candidates will be asked to verify their employment information is still valid from their certificate application or update as needed
- Candidates will also need to provide an updated resume
- Candidates can be waived the admissions test score requirement if they receive a final certificate GPA above 3.2.
- Candidates below the 3.2 GPA requirement will be asked to take a GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, or another test assessment option.
- If the certificate is still in progress at the time of application, the test waiver decision will be based on the in-progress GPA. The admission committee will verify the candidate’s final certificate GPA to determine that they have still met the waiver criteria or the candidate will be asked to take the GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, or another test assessment option.