Health & Safety Resources

The Carlson Global Institute prioritizes the health & safety of our international exchange students. We rely on resources through the greater University of Minnesota to help keep students safe and healthy. 


Safety Resources

The University of Minnesota works hard to ensure that campus and the surrounding neighborhoods are safe for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. On-campus safety resources include:


Physical Health Resources

Students needing care can go to Boynton Health, the UMN's on-campus clinic. Boynton's services include primary care, dental, eye, massage, mental health, nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy, women's health, immunization, and urgent care. 

All Carlson School international exchange students have access to the on-campus Recreation and Wellness Center (RecWell). Recwell offers access to exercise equipment, fitness classes, swimming, outdoor activities, wellness resources, and more. 

Students experiencing food insecurity can take advantage of Nutritious U, a food pantry offering fresh and healthy food to students who struggle to get enough to eat.


Mental Health Resources

Living in a new cultural environment, and navigating a new academic structure can be stressful and take a toll on your mental health. It's important for us at the Carlson Global Institute that international exchange students prioritize their mental health. Please see below for resources here on campus to support your mental health while studying here at the Carlson School: 

  • Maureen Maslinski: Wellness Counselor at Carlson School 
  • MentalHealth@UMN - By answering a few anonymous questions, MentalHealth@UMN will connect you to the most relevant services available.
  • Student Counseling Services - There’s no need to suffer alone. Reach out for trusted counselor support, self-help materials, and specialized content for marginalized identities.
  • Boynton Mental Health Clinic - Find support and resources, including counseling services, drop-in crisis support, psychiatric care, alcohol and drug recovery, and ADHD guidance. Get connected by calling 612-625-3222.
  • Pet Away Worry and Stress (PAWS) - Pet Away Worry & Stress with therapy animals throughout the academic year. Free to use, no appointment needed.
  • Let's Talk - Learn more about what resources, programs, and services are the best fit for you. Note: This program is not designed for crisis support.


Student Health Benefit Plan

All international exchange students must purchase the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP). You are automatically enrolled in the SHBP after you register for courses.