Carlson Global Institute Housing

How to Apply for On-Campus Housing

  • Submit an Online Housing Application through the Housing & Residential Life Office
    A link to this application will be emailed to all accepted exchange students. The cost to apply for on-campus housing is $50, which will be charged to your UMN student account.

    Please note: students are not able to complete the online housing application until after they have received their student ID number and University of Minnesota email address. Students will receive their student ID numbers upon admittance into the University of Minnesota. On the online application, students are able to indicate their preferences (building, roommates, etc).
  • Deadline
    There is no official deadline to submit your online application for on-campus housing.  However, on-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot guarantee University housing, so we encourage students to apply online as soon as they receive their student ID number and UMN email address. 
  • Placement
    The Housing & Residential Life office will try their best to meet your preferences for location and room size, but rooms and preferences are not guaranteed. Exchange students may live in the following housing options: 
    • Yudof Hall - Apartment style. Students living in these apartments are typically 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year bachelor students.
    • Radius - Apartment style. Students living in these apartments are typically 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year bachelor students.
    • Centennial Hall - Dorm style with limited availability. Most UMN students living in Centennial Hall are 1st or 2nd year bachelor students. All students living in Centennial Hall are required to purchase a Meal Plan.
  • Cost
    Housing rates can be found on the Housing & Residential Life website:
  • Meal Plan
    If you live in an on-campus apartment (Yudof Hall or Radius), or if you live off campus, you can choose to purchase a meal plan, but it isn't required. If you select Centennial Hall, a meal plan is required. More information about meal plan options can be found at Housing and Residential Life.
  • Household Furnishings
    Apartments are furnished, but typically will not have everything you will need during your stay. For example, linens are NOT included in your apartment. There are several retail stores close to campus and easily accessible by bus if you need to purchase items upon arrival. You may also choose to rent some items during your stay. 
  • Temporary Housing
    You may need to arrive on campus before your housing contract begins, depending on the type of housing you choose. You should arrange temporary housing before your arrive. Reach out to the Carlson Global Institute for more information about early accommodations. 

How to Apply for Off-Campus Housing

We strongly recommend that you secure housing before arrival. If you do not reserve housing in advance, you must arrive in Minneapolis early to find suitable accommodations. The Carlson School Welcome Program is a mandatory program, and you will not be allowed to skip sessions for apartment visits and lease signings.

Here are some resources and things to consider if you are looking for housing off campus:


  • Off-campus housing accommodations vary widely in cost and quality. Review your options carefully before making your off-campus housing decision.
  • Most apartments offer 9- or 12-month leases. It can be difficult to find an apartment for just one semester.
  • Keep in mind that it is difficult and expensive to be released from a housing contract or apartment lease.
  • The Carlson Global Institute office is limited in its ability to help you with off-campus housing. You will need to apply directly to the housing office or manager of the apartment.
  • Apartments and dorm rooms are often furnished, but typically will not have everything you will need during your stay. For example, TVs, pots and pans, dishes and linens are usually NOT included with your apartment or dorm.

Off-Campus Housing Resources

University of Minnesota Off-Campus Housing offers resources for finding housing near the university.

Contact Carlson Global Institute