MS in Finance Curriculum
What you'll learn
Designed for recent graduates and early-career professionals, the MS in Finance curriculum marries the essentials of education in finance theory with the quantitative and computational skills now driving the field, along with intensive practical application throughout.
The Carlson MSF program is recognized by the U. S. Department of Homeland Security as a STEM-designated program.
- Rigorous, 39-credit, STEM-designated curriculum
- CFA affiliation, ensuring classes prepare students for the CFA exam (optional)
- Technical skill-building courses: Intro to Python Programming, Computing for Finance, Machine Learning for Finance, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & Their Business Applications
- Use of programming languages, software, and databases: Python, MATLAB, Stata, Excel VBA, ModelRisk, Bloomberg, Factset, CRSP, Compustat, among others
- Intensive experiential learning component analyzing real financial challenges for real client companies
Choose to complete the program in 10 or 16 months based on your personal goals and preferences. You have until the end of the second semester of the program to choose your track or specialization, leaving time to consult with your career coach and academic advisor before deciding.
- Complete the program in May
- Default curriculum option
- Return to full-time job market quickly
- Ideal if you have previous internship and/or full-time work experience in finance
- Complete the program in December
- Additional summer and fall semester at no extra tuition cost
- Option to spread out class schedule
- Flexibility for summer finance internship
- Internship assistance from Graduate Business Career Center
- Recommended if you are joining the program directly after undergrad studies, pivoting from another career area, or would like to further boost your resumes before graduation