Carlson School Exchange in Norway: BI Norwegian Business SchoolGraduate Global Immersion
Fall Semester 2024:
Orientation Week : August 9, 2024
Semester End: November 22, 2024
Exam period: November 21 - December 20, 2024
Spring Semester 2025:
Orientation Week : January 6, 2025
Semester End: April 25, 2025
Exam period: April 28 - June 18, 2025
The priority deadline for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 is February 1st, 2024 at noon.
- Successful exchange students demonstrate a high degree of independence, adaptability, and flexibility because support and services will be different from a US university
- You are enrolled as an exchange student at a host university and take business courses in English
- You take courses with students from the host university as well as other exchange students from around the world
- You attend the host university according to their term dates which differ from the University of Minnesota
- A small group of Carlson students are selected to study at each partner university per semester and are fully immersed in another country, culture, and education system
- You will work closely with both Carlson School advisers and advisers from the host university for support pre-departure and during your semester abroad
What is a Business Exchange Program?
- BI Norwegian Business School is an internationally recognized and accredited private institution located in Oslo, the capital of Norway. I is one of Europe's largest and most productive academic environments in the areas of business, economics, marketing, finance, and management.
- Oslo offers a great variety of activities and scenery, from the throbbing city life full of cafes, restaurants, galleries, and shopping centers to outdoor activities in the mountains and woods.
- Oslo has more than 600,000 inhabitants, making the city big enough to benefit from everything a big city has to offer, but small enough to be a safe place to live.
- The Carlson Global Institute strongly encourages students to live in the on-campus housing options as those are affiliated with and vetted by the partner institutions.
- Students should check the host university website and fact sheet for specific accommodations information including on-campus and off-campus options, application process and deadline, and cost information.
- BI offers a housing guarantee for international students who apply by the deadline.
- There are 2 options through the guaranteed housing option: BSN, which offers a limited number of rooms but is close to the city centre and campus; or SiO, which is near a lake and forest, but slightly further from campus.
- Rooms are either two room apartments or private rooms with shared or private bathroom and kitchen. The type of housing varies according to price.
- Graduate exchange students take courses in the Master of Science program.
- Graduate exchange students must enroll in the minimum number of credits outlined by the host university. The UMN does not have a minimum course requirement for graduate students on semester exchange.
- Courses transfer back as S/N on UMN transcripts.
- Business courses taught in English are available to exchange students.
- BI offers basic Norwegian language courses to international students each semester. Held in the evening to avoid conflicts. Not apart of BI's curriculum and participants are not awarded any credit.
- For information about specific courses available to exchange students please meet with an adviser.
- Currently enrolled in a Carlson School graduate program
- In good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Additional criteria may apply
- The University of Minnesota shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
- All Carlson students are responsible for obtaining a passport before they participate on a study abroad program
- All students participating on an exchange program will be responsible for obtaining a visa or residence permit if required by their host country. The Carlson Global Institute will not process visa applications for students participating on exchange programs and are not visa experts.
- The Carlson Global Institute and the host university will provide resources for visa and residence permit applications if necessary, but students will need to work with the consulate and/or visa processing company directly as well.
To apply for an exchange program you must first apply through the Carlson Global Institute on the Apply page. You will be charged a $50 application fee for each term that you apply for a program. If you apply for two programs in Fall semester you will be charged $50. If you apply for one program in Fall semester and one in Spring semester you will be charged $100. The priority deadline for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 is February 1, 2024 at noon. Applications for programs that do not fill by the priority deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis until full. Applications will be reviewed and students will be informed of their status within 6 weeks of the priority deadline. Once accepted into an exchange program, you will also complete an application to the host university.
Cost Estimate (Summary)
Expenses are based on a 5 month semester. These estimates will vary based on student preference and exchange rates. All details subject to change based on economic and international factors. Most financial aid may be applied to study abroad programs. Students should also maintain their U.S.-based health insurance plan while abroad. Visa and passport costs are subject to change. Please verify current documentation costs with the Consulate.
|Estimated Expenses 2023-2024
|Carlson School Tuition (charged to UMN student account)
|UMN Per-credit rate (varies by credit load and UMN degree program)
|Airfare (to and from program site)
|Visa Fee (based on US passport)
|Books and Materials
|Housing & Food
|Essential Living Expenses
|Total estimated expenses
|$8,590 + tuition costs