Graduate Certificate Applicants
Carlson Certificate to Part-Time MBA Application Process
Certificate Learners that have previously completed a Carlson Business Administration Graduate (Postbaccalaureate) Certificate can transfer the 12-13 credits completed in the certificate into the Part-Time MBA program to continue with the MBA curriculum.
Certificate learners will complete the Carlson Degree Application for Certificate Earners Form which will create a program application.
Carlson Certificate Earner to Part-Time MBA Application Requirements
Candidates will be required to upload required materials for the program application process, including new essays, transcripts, employment information, and resume. Please note that Certificate Earners applicants will be waived of recommendations, video essay, application fees, and potentially GMAT/GRE scores requirements for this application process.
We want to admit a diverse, intellectually curious, and interesting group of students who will contribute to and benefit from the Carlson MBA Program. The personal statement helps the admissions committee get to know you better as an individual, and allows the committee to evaluate the extent to which your skills, interests, values, and career goals are well suited for the program. Your personal statement should be no more than 1200 words (3 pages), that address the following questions:
- Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA at this time in your career? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? Briefly describe your short-term (upon graduation from the program) and long-term (5-10 years after the program) career goals. Please be as specific as possible with roles, companies and/or industries.
- What excites you about being part of the Carlson School MBA program? Do you have a specialization that you are currently interested in and why?
- Carlson MBA programs are looking for diverse voices and experiences to add to classroom discussions. Can you tell us about how you have participated in and/or advocated for building more inclusive communities in your career?
- Candidates will verify their academic credentials from their certificate application
- Candidates will be required to upload a transcript of their University of Minnesota certificate coursework
- If a candidate has taken any additional coursework since their certificate application, additional transcripts will be required
- Candidates will be asked to verify their employment information is still valid from their certificate application or update as needed
- Candidates will also need to provide an updated resume
- Candidates can be waived the admissions test score requirement if they receive a final certificate GPA above 3.2.
- Candidates below the 3.2 GPA requirement will be asked to take a GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, or another test assessment option.
- If the certificate is still in progress at the time of application, the test waiver decision will be based on the in-progress GPA. The admission committee will verify the candidate’s final certificate GPA to determine that they have still met the waiver criteria or the candidate will be asked to take the GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, or another test assessment option.
All applicants are invited to submit an essay to be considered for one of the 50% or 15% merit-based scholarships offered to admitted candidates entering the Part-Time MBA program. Scholarships will be awarded on a merit basis to a limited number of admitted candidates who demonstrate the potential to be exemplary contributors to the Carlson School community and possess outstanding academic and professional achievements. Selected students will be notified of their award at the time of admission.
This scholarship essay is not required for admission to the program, but is required to be considered for the scholarship. The essay also must be submitted within the application itself, as no late or alternative submission methods will be accepted.
The scholarship is non transferable to other Carlson School degrees, is not "stackable" with other scholarships or discounts, and may only be applied toward the Part-Time or Online MBA programs.
The Scholarship Essay prompt should address the following in no less than 300 words (1 page):
- Can you tell us about a time you advocated for a more inclusive or more welcoming community, either professionally or personally? How do you plan to carry what you have learned from this experience forward and positively impact the Carlson School?
Carlson Corporate Discount applicants may also submit an essay for the consideration of the available scholarships, but no "stacking" of scholarship awards and corporate discounts is allowed.
Additionally, Corporate Discount candidates must also submit 2 letters of recommendation, along with the scholarship essay, in order to fulfill requirements for scholarship consideration.
Candidates will expect to hear their admission decisions in about two weeks. If you have any additional questions about the status of your application, please contact us a firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.