To apply for the Part-Time MBA program candidates must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or a comparable degree from an officially recognized college or university outside of the U.S.
The Part-Time MBA program begins either in the fall (September) or spring (January) semester. Applications are considered based on round deadlines and decisions are sent out within a couple weeks of completing your application.
Deadlines that occur on a holiday or weekend will be extended through the next business day. We welcome questions about the admissions process and timeline. Please contact the admissions team at 612-625-5555 if you would like to discuss your application.
Application review for Fall
- Round 1: May 15 with a decision by June 1
- Round 2: June 15 with a decision by July 15
- Round 3: July 15 with a decision by August 1
Application review for Spring
- Round 1 deadline: October 15 with a decision by November 1
- Round 2 deadline: November 15 with a decision by December 15
- Round 3 deadline: December 15 with a decision by January 15
Unofficial transcripts can be submitted through the online application. You will need to submit a transcript from each college or university where you have completed coursework before your application will be considered complete and reviewed by the admissions committee. Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted to the program.
A GMAT or GRE General Test that is not more than five years old is required for admission to the Part-Time MBA Program. For GMAT, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to the Part-Time MBA Program, code D2N-VJ-83. Results normally arrive 2-3 weeks after the test. For GRE, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to us using institution code 8387. Results may take up to 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Please note we don't have a minimum GMAT or GRE required score, but do have average scores.
Eligibility for an Academic Test (GMAT/GRE) Waiver
Candidates applying for admission to the Carlson Part-Time MBA program may be eligible for a GMAT/GRE waiver:
- Applicant graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher at an accredited institution using a 4.0 scale, or first-class distinction from an institution from India, or equivalent measurement.
- Applicant has 6 or more year of professional full-time work experience, which can include internships, graduate assistantships, fellowships, and co-ops.
- Applicant demonstrates quantitative and analytical experience through course record or work experience.
Please follow and fully complete the instruction listed in the form. Please note completion of this request is not a guarantee for a waiver. Please note the waiver is only for the consideration of GMAT/GRE portion of the application and cannot be extended to any other requirements of the application. Candidates are responsible for understanding and meeting all other application requirements. The Academic Test Waiver is also to be complete prior to the submission of your Part-Time MBA application.
Your request will be reviewed by a committee of admission and academic affairs representatives. The committee will inform the applicant of their waiver request by granting or denying the request; the committee may request the completion of an additional quantitative/analytical measurement such as MBA Math or the Executive Assessment.
An admission representative will notify you of a decision by e-mail with 1-2 weeks of receiving a complete waiver application.
Please direct all questions about the Academic Test Waiver to email@example.com.
Use the online application to provide the names of two professional references; one must be your current supervisor. Your recommenders will receive an email to complete a online survey on your behalf, once complete these will be automatically attached to the application. We require two complete recommendations to consider this section complete.
The personal statement questions are the following:
- Briefly describe your short-term and long-term career goals. Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA at this time in your career, and what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so?
- Why are you interested in pursuing an MBA at the Carlson School of Management?
- What do you feel makes you a strong candidate for the program? How will you contribute to the MBA Program overall?
The application fee is $75 (non-refundable) for U.S. citizens, international applications, and U.S. residents with foreign credentials. Your application fee will be waived if you have been on active duty in the U.S. military within three years of submitting your MBA application.
Submit a current resume that includes job responsibilities and accomplishments.
- The video essay is a required component of the application that provides candidates with an opportunity to show the admissions committee the authentic you. Think of this video essay as if you were answering an interview question with a member of our admissions committee.
- You will need to use a computer with camera and microphone capabilities. You will have the ability to test your technology before starting the video essay and submit a practice video essay.
- You can test your technology and run the practice simulation as many times as you wish to be comfortable with the format and technology. You will be able to review your practice video essay(s) and your recording(s) will not be saved beyond the testing phase and will never be reviewed.
- You can also practice responding to impromptu questions offline with a friend or colleague before completing the video essay portion of your application.
- You will be prompted to click "Ready" once you are prepared to submit an official video essay. You will be asked one impromptu question from a bank of imaginative or behavioral questions selected by our admissions team.
- Two minutes (120 seconds) will be provided to prepare an answer and two minutes (120 seconds) to record an answer. Recording will automatically stop after two minutes. You are not required to use the full two minutes. If you have time remaining once complete with your response, click the "Stop Recording" button to end the recording.
- You will only be provided one attempt to record your official video essay.
Video Essay Bank of Questions