Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
Part-Time MBA program candidates must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or a comparable degree from an officially recognized college or university outside of the U.S.
Part-Time MBA program candidates must have complete 2 years of work experience, this can include internships, co-ops, graduate assistantships and other work experiences. Discretion on work experience eligibility will be evaluated by admission committee. If you have questions about your personal profile and eligibility, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note all materials will be required in some form for a Part-Time MBA application. If materials are missing, an application will be marked incomplete and will delay an admission decision. Please check your applicant checklist in the application portal to ensure all materials are received.
Under Program Selection tab, please select 'University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Campus'
Filter by college/school to 'Carlson School of Management'
Under Carlson School of Management Programs select 'Business Administration - Part-Time MBA'
Unofficial transcripts can be submitted through the online application or emailed to email@example.com for attachment to your application file. All unofficial transcripts must include the institution’s name and the name of the applicant. Please do not send or request paper copies, as our office is unable to receive mail at this time.
You will need to submit a transcript from each college or university where you have completed coursework before your application will be considered complete and reviewed by the admissions committee.
Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted to the program.
A GMAT or Executive Assessment (EA) or GRE General Test that is not more than five years old is required for admission to the Part-Time MBA Program.
For GMAT or EA, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to the Part-Time MBA Program, code D2N-VJ-83. Results normally arrive 2-3 weeks after the test. For GRE, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to us using institution code 8387. Results may take up to 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Please note we don't have a minimum GMAT, EA, or GRE required score, but do have average scores.
Prospective students should plan to take the GMAT or EA or GRE before the application due date in order to meet the application deadline. We recommend taking the GMAT or EA or GRE at least two to four weeks prior to the application date to ensure timely review of your application. The admissions committee considers only your highest GMAT or EA or GRE score when reviewing your application.
Candidates applying for admission to the Carlson Part-Time MBA program may be eligible for a GMAT/GRE waiver if they meet the following criteria:
|Must have one of the following:||Must have one of the following additional requirements:|
- AND -
Please note that a candidate must meet both areas requirements of the waiver process in order to be granted a waiver.
An approved GMAT/GRE/EA waiver does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants should consider a number of factors before submitting a GMAT/GRE waiver request including their overall candidate profile. Submission of a test score is an additional data point considered by the Admissions Committee.
There are also some employers who may request a GMAT/GRE score as part of their MBA hiring screening process. This is particularly true in industries such as consulting or finance. Candidates are encouraged to consider all factors before submitting a GMAT/GRE test waiver request.
Please direct all questions about the Academic Test Waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your recommendation providers will receive an email from "email@example.com." The subject line will include your name and the words "Recommendation for the University of Minnesota". Please ask your providers to include this email address in their contact lists and to double check spam/junk mail folders if they don't receive the message. NOTE: It is not required to use a company email address. Some companies have firewalls that prevent receipt of the recommendation request email. Recommenders should receive the recommendation request email within 12 hours of saving their contact information in the application. If recommenders do not receive the email within 12 hours, please try again with another email address. Best practice is to use a Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail email address for recommendations.
Recommendation providers can submit their recommendations anytime, both before AND after you submit your application.
We require two complete recommendations to consider this section complete, but you can list up to six professional recommendations. All completed professional recommendations will be reviewed by the admission committee.
Your personal statement should be no more than 1200 words (3 pages), that address the following questions:
- Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA at this time in your career? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? Briefly describe your short-term (upon graduation from the program) and long-term (5-10 years after the program) career goals. Please be as specific as possible with roles, companies and/or industries.
- What excites you about being part of the Carlson School MBA program? Do you have a specialization that you are currently interested in and why?
- Describe your current thinking about diversity, equity, and inclusion. How has your thinking changed over time?
Use this essay to share information that is not presented elsewhere in the application, for example:
- Explanation of employment gaps or academic weaknesses
- Quantitative abilities
- Choice of recommenders
- For re-applicants, improvements to your candidacy
Your statement should be limited to no more than 500 words (1 page).
Proof of English Language Proficiency is required of all applicants and must be demonstrated in one of the following ways.
- Completed at least the last 2 years of a bachelor's degree or 1 year of graduate school (full-time) in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Africa, or the English-speaking Caribbean and will provide official transcripts.
- Completed my education solely in English in a country where English is not an official language and will provide documented proof (Ex: India)
- Will provide the official results of an English language test taken within the last two years.
The following tests are all accepted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Duolingo (Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 Applicants Only)
For further details, visit the International Applicants page.
The application fee is $75 (non-refundable) for U.S. citizens, international applications, and U.S. residents with foreign credentials. Your application fee will be waived if you have been on active duty in the U.S. military within three years of submitting your MBA application.
Submit a current resume that includes job responsibilities and accomplishments. Resume can include part-time work, internships, graduate assistants, or co-ops as necessary.
- The video essay is a required component of the application that provides candidates with an opportunity to show the admissions committee the authentic you. Think of this video essay as if you were answering an interview question with a member of our admissions committee.
- You will need to use a computer with camera and microphone capabilities. You will also need a strong internet connection for uploading the video. You will have the ability to test your technology before starting the video essay and submit a practice video essay.
- You can test your technology and run the practice simulation as many times as you wish to be comfortable with the format and technology. You will be able to review your practice video essay(s) and your recording(s) will not be saved beyond the testing phase and will never be reviewed.
- You can also practice responding to impromptu questions offline with a friend or colleague before completing the video essay portion of your application.
- You will be prompted to click "Ready" once you are prepared to submit an official video essay. You will be asked one impromptu question from a bank of imaginative or behavioral questions selected by our admissions team.
- Two minutes (120 seconds) will be provided to prepare an answer and two minutes (120 seconds) to record an answer. Recording will automatically stop after two minutes. You are not required to use the full two minutes. If you have time remaining once complete with your response, click the "Stop Recording" button to end the recording.
- You will only be provided one attempt to record your official video essay.
The Part-Time MBA program begins either in the fall (September after Labor Day Holiday) or spring (January after Martin Luther King Holiday) semester. Applications are considered based on round deadlines and decisions are sent out 10 business days of completing your application.
Application Dates - Fall and Spring Starts
|Spring (January) Start|
|Round 1||October 15|
|Round 2||November 15|
|Round 3||December 15|
|Fall (September) Start|
|Round 1||May 15|
|Round 2||June 15|
|Round 3||July 15|
Deadlines that occur on a holiday or weekend will be extended through the next business day. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions/concerns on your timeline.
Admission Decision Release
Part-Time MBA applicants will receive their admission decision within 10 business days of the admission committee receiving a submitted and completed application. Completed and submitted application requires that all materials have been received by the admissions committee, this includes transcripts, resumes, personal statement, recommendations, and GMAT or GRE test score reports. You will receive communication from the admission committee when your application is been received and marked as complete.