The Part-Time MBA program begins either in the fall (September) or spring (January) semester. Applications are considered based on round deadlines and decisions are sent out within a couple weeks of completing your application.
We realize that COVID-19 has affected our applicants in many ways: testing center closures, travel restrictions, visa processing barriers, new family responsibilities and so much more. We want to be sure you know that we are here to make this a personalized process. Do you need more time to complete your application? Are you having difficulty getting test scores or documents? Have your testing plans changed? Let us know - we’re here to help. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’re happy to get you an email response within 24 hours or setup a virtual appointment.
Application review for Fall
- Round 1: May 15 with a decision by June 1
- Round 2: June 15 with a decision by July 15
- Round 3: July 15 with a decision by August 1
Application review for Spring
- Round 1 deadline: October 15 with a decision by November 1
- Round 2 deadline: November 15 with a decision by December 15
- Round 3 deadline: December 15 with a decision by January 15
Deadlines that occur on a holiday or weekend will be extended through the next business day. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have questions/concerns on your timeline.
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
Part-Time MBA program candidates must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or a comparable degree from an officially recognized college or university outside of the U.S.
Part-Time MBA program candidates must have complete 2 years of work experience, this can include internships, co-ops, graduate assistantships and other work experiences. Discretion on work experience eligibility will be evaluated by admission committee. If you have questions about your personal profile and eligibility, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note all materials will be required in some form for a Part-Time MBA application. If materials are missing, an application will be marked incomplete and will delay an admission decision. Please check your applicant checklist in the application portal to ensure all materials are received.
Unofficial transcripts can be submitted through the online application or emailed to email@example.com for attachment to your application file. All unofficial transcripts must include the institution’s name and the name of the applicant. Please do not send or request paper copies, as our office is unable to receive mail at this time.
You will need to submit a transcript from each college or university where you have completed coursework before your application will be considered complete and reviewed by the admissions committee.
Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted to the program.
A GMAT or Executive Assessment (EA) or GRE General Test that is not more than five years old is required for admission to the Part-Time MBA Program.
For GMAT or EA, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to the Part-Time MBA Program, code D2N-VJ-83. Results normally arrive 2-3 weeks after the test. For GRE, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to us using institution code 8387. Results may take up to 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Please note we don't have a minimum GMAT, EA, or GRE required score, but do have average scores.
Prospective students should plan to take the GMAT or EA or GRE on or before the application due date in order to meet the application deadline. We recommend taking the GMAT or EA or GRE at least two to four weeks prior to the application date to ensure timely review of your application. The admissions committee considers only your highest GMAT or EA or GRE score when reviewing your application.
Eligibility for an Academic Test (GMAT/GRE) Waiver
Candidates applying for admission to the Carlson Part-Time MBA program may be eligible for a GMAT/GRE waiver if they meet all three requirements below:
- Applicant graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher at an accredited institution using a 4.0 scale, or first-class distinction from an institution from India, or equivalent measurement.
- Applicant has 6+ years of professional full-time work experience, which can include internships, graduate assistantships, fellowships, and co-ops.
- Applicant demonstrates quantitative and analytical experience through coursework or work experience.
Please note that a candidate must meet all three requirements of the waiver process in order to be granted a waiver.
Please follow and fully complete the instruction listed in the form. Please note completion of this request is not a guarantee for a waiver. Please note the waiver is only for the consideration of GMAT/GRE portion of the application and cannot be extended to any other requirements of the application. Candidates are responsible for understanding and meeting all other application requirements. The Academic Test Waiver is also to be complete prior to the submission of your Part-Time MBA application.
Your request will be reviewed by a committee of admission and academic affairs representatives. The committee will inform the applicant of their waiver request by granting or denying the request; the committee may request the completion of an additional quantitative/analytical measurement such as MBA Math or the Executive Assessment.
An admission representative will notify you of a decision by e-mail with 1-2 weeks of receiving a complete waiver application.
Please direct all questions about the Academic Test Waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the online application to provide the names of two professional references; one must be your current supervisor.
Your recommendation providers will receive an email from "email@example.com." The subject line will include your name and the words "Recommendation for the University of Minnesota" Please ask your providers to include this email address in their contact lists and to double check spam/junk mail folders if they don't receive the message.
Recommendation providers can submit their recommendations anytime, both before AND after you submit your application.
We require two complete recommendations to consider this section complete, but you can list up to six professional recommendations. All completed professional recommendations will be reviewed by the admission committee.
We want to admit a diverse, intellectually curious, and interesting group of students who will contribute to and benefit from the Carlson MBA Program. This section of the application helps the admissions committee get to know you better as an individual, and allows the committee to evaluate the extent to which your skills, interests, values, and career goals are well suited for the program. Please write a personal statement using no more than 750 words (2 pages), that addresses the following questions:
- Briefly describe your short-term and long-term career goals. Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA at this time in your career, and what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so?
- Why are you interested in pursuing an MBA at the Carlson School of Management?
- What do you feel makes you a strong candidate for the program? How will you contribute to the MBA Program overall?
Use this essay to share information that is not presented elsewhere in the application, for example:
- Explanation of employment gaps or academic weaknesses
- Quantitative abilities
- Choice of recommenders
- For re-applicants, improvements to your candidacy
Your statement should be limited to no more than 500 words (1 page).
Proof of English Language Proficiency is required of all applicants and must be demonstrated in one of the following ways.
The following tests are all accepted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
For further details, visit the International Applicants page.
The application fee is $75 (non-refundable) for U.S. citizens, international applications, and U.S. residents with foreign credentials. Your application fee will be waived if you have been on active duty in the U.S. military within three years of submitting your MBA application.
Submit a current resume that includes job responsibilities and accomplishments. Resume can include part-time work, internships, graduate assistants, or co-ops as necessary.
- The video essay is a required component of the application that provides candidates with an opportunity to show the admissions committee the authentic you. Think of this video essay as if you were answering an interview question with a member of our admissions committee.
- You will need to use a computer with camera and microphone capabilities. You will also need a strong internet connection for uploading the video. You will have the ability to test your technology before starting the video essay and submit a practice video essay.
- You can test your technology and run the practice simulation as many times as you wish to be comfortable with the format and technology. You will be able to review your practice video essay(s) and your recording(s) will not be saved beyond the testing phase and will never be reviewed.
- You can also practice responding to impromptu questions offline with a friend or colleague before completing the video essay portion of your application.
- You will be prompted to click "Ready" once you are prepared to submit an official video essay. You will be asked one impromptu question from a bank of imaginative or behavioral questions selected by our admissions team.
- Two minutes (120 seconds) will be provided to prepare an answer and two minutes (120 seconds) to record an answer. Recording will automatically stop after two minutes. You are not required to use the full two minutes. If you have time remaining once complete with your response, click the "Stop Recording" button to end the recording.
- You will only be provided one attempt to record your official video essay.
Video Essay Bank of Questions