Carlson School Exchange in Italy: Università BocconiUndergraduate Global Immersion
The academic calendar at Bocconi will differ from the University of Minnesota and all exchange students are expected to be at their host campus on the first day of orientation and through the last day of final exams.
Fall Semester 2024:
Term Dates: Late August - Early December 2024
Spring Semester 2025:
Term Dates: Late January - Late May 2025
The priority deadline for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 is February 1st, 2024 at noon.
- Successful exchange students demonstrate a high degree of independence, adaptability, and flexibility because support and services will be different from a US university
- You are enrolled as an exchange student at a host university and take business courses in English
- You take courses with students from the host university as well as other exchange students from around the world
- You attend the host university according to their term dates which differ from the University of Minnesota
- A small group of Carlson students are selected to study at each partner university per semester and are fully immersed in another country, culture, and education system
- You will work closely with both Carlson School advisers and advisers from the host university for support pre-departure and during your semester abroad
What is a Business Exchange Program?
- Universita Bocconi is considered one of Europe's leading educational institutions in Economics, Management, Finance, and Law.
- Milan is known as the economic and production capital of Italy and the leading Italian hub for services, finance, and industry. Milan is the engine of the country's economy and home of the Italian stock exchange.
- This cosmopolitan, modern, and forward-looking city is world-renowned as a European capital of fashion, design, architecture, publishing, modern art, and music.
- Population: 1.4 million
- The Carlson Global Institute strongly encourages students to live in the on-campus housing options as those are affiliated with and vetted by the partner institutions.
- Students should check the host university website and fact sheet for specific accommodations information including on-campus and off-campus options, application process and deadline, and cost information.
- Exchange students can request accommodation in Bocconi dorms through the ISD Housing Office.
- Housing offers differ, based on the residence hall you choose.
- Students may also choose to find their own apartment in Milan, but offer limited guidance in finding off-campus accommodations.
- Students on exchange programs take a full semester course load at their host university (12 UMN credits/semester, unless the host university credit requirement is higher).
- Starting Fall 2020, courses from exchange partners transfer back as transfer credit on the official UMN transcript. Transfer credit does not affect overall GPA.
- Business courses taught in English and Italian are available to exchange students.
- A two week immersion Intensive Italian Language Crash Course is offered before the beginning of Bocconi classes. Levels from beginner up to advanced. Italian Language Follow-Up Courses are scheduled throughout the semester.
- Students participating in CGI semester exchange programs are strongly encouraged to enroll in the 1-credit Global Identity course for business students. This course helps you to develop your intercultural skills and articulate the value of your experience to future employers. It offers an additional layer of support through one-on-one interactions with your instructor that complements the independent structure of the exchange program.
- For information about specific courses available to exchange students please meet with an adviser.
- No host country language skills required
- Preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
- Students are held to business course prerequisites of the host institution
- CGI strongly recommends that students completed both semesters of I-CORE prior to participating on a business exchange, although it is not required. For students who want to participate on a business semester exchange prior to completing both I-CORE semesters:
- Students pursuing a Marketing, MIS, or ACCT major need to have completed MAROON I-CORE prior to participating on a business semester exchange
- Students pursuing a Finance, Entre, SCO, or HRIR major need to have completed GOLD I-CORE prior to participating on a business semester exchange
- Although not required, we encourage students to complete some more major courses prior to participating on a business exchange. Students should plan closely with their academic advisers prior to participating on a business semester exchange.
- The University of Minnesota shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
- All Carlson students are responsible for obtaining a passport before they participate on a study abroad program
- All students participating on an exchange program will be responsible for obtaining a visa or residence permit if required by their host country. The Carlson Global Institute does not process visa applications for students participating on exchange programs
- The Carlson Global Institute and the host university will provide resources for visa and residence permit applications if necessary, but students will need to work with the consulate and/or visa processing company directly as well
- Visa and passport requirements are always subject to change by the host country and students are expected to check with the consulate for up-to-date information
To apply for an exchange program you must first apply through the Carlson Global Institute on the Apply page. You will be charged a $50 application fee for each term that you apply for a program. If you apply for two programs in Fall semester you will be charged $50. If you apply for one program in Fall semester and one in Spring semester you will be charged $100. The priority deadline for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 is February 1, 2024 at noon. Applications for programs that do not fill by the priority deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis until full. Applications will be reviewed and students will be informed of their status within 6 weeks of the priority deadline. Once accepted into an exchange program, you will also complete an application to the host university.
Cost Estimate (Summary)
Expenses are based on a 5 month semester. These estimates will vary based on student preference and exchange rates. All details subject to change based on economic and international factors. Most financial aid may be applied to study abroad programs. Students should also maintain their U.S.-based health insurance plan while abroad. Visa and passport costs are subject to change. Please verify current documentation costs with the host country consulate. Carlson School tuition costs based on rates for MN residents registered for 12+ credits.
The Program Fee includes program administration costs, maintaining student status at the UMN for the exchange semester, and international travel, health and security insurance.
|Estimated Expenses 2023-2024||Global Immersion Exchange (CGI Semester)||UMTC On-Campus Costs (Carlson Semester)|
|Carlson School MN Resident Tuition (charged to UMN student account)||$7,248||$7,248|
|Carlson School Tuition Surcharge (charged to UMN student account)||1,300||1,300|
|Program Fee (charged to UMN student account)||$2,500||N/A|
|UMN On-Campus Fees||N/A||$1,245|
|One credit online UMN Global Identity Course (optional) (charged to UMN student account)||$200||N/A|
|Airfare (to and from program site)||$1,200||N/A|
|Visa Fee (based on US passport)||$50||N/A|
|Books and Materials||$200||$500|
|Housing & Food||$6,200||$6,514|
|Essential Daily Living Expenses||$2,000||$1,110|
|Total Program Cost||$21,563||$17,907|
|Program Incremental Cost (additional cost for studying abroad vs. staying on-campus for a semester)||$3,656 ($21,563 - $17,907)||-|