MBA Course Petition Form
Degree-seeking graduate students from other University of Minnesota programs may use this petition process to request enrollment in a total of up to three Carlson Master of Business Administration (MBA) courses on a space-available basis.
Please complete and submit the Non-MBA Graduate Student Petition Form to request registration. After submission, students will be notified via University of Minnesota email of the status of their petition within 3-5 business days.
All course petition requests should be submitted at least 3 business days prior to the start of the course to allow for processing time. For official academic dates for full semester, A-term (first seven weeks of a semester), and B-term (second seven weeks of a semester) courses, please see the One Stop Student Services page.
MSBA, MS Finance, MS Supply Chain, HRIR, MBT, MAcc, Dental Hygiene, and MHA students should petition through their respective department for admission into an MBA course. Students in these graduate programs should not use the petition form.
Interested in adding the Business Management Minor to your graduate or PhD degree program? Check out more information here.
Registration for non-MBA graduate students who submit the online petition form and are approved to take Carlson MBA courses will begin on the dates outlined below. After submitting the petition form, students will receive an email communication on these dates sharing either a permission number to use to register or notification that the class is full.
- November 23, 2020 - Registration for MBA core and elective courses begins (with exception of MBA 6300, MBA 6030, and MBA 6120 for which seats will be released on January 11, 2021)
- March 5, 2021 - Registration for MBA core and elective courses begins
- April 21, 2021 - Registration for MBA core and elective courses begins (with exception of MBA 6300, MBA 6030, and MBA 6120 for which seats will be released on September 1, 2021)
- All approvals are issued through the MBA Student Affairs team via the process outlined above; do not seek a permission number from faculty members.
- There is no guarantee you will get into any classes.
- If the course you are requesting has a prerequisite you have not met, we may refer you to the instructor for permission to enroll.
- Undergraduate and non-degree seeking students are not permitted to take MBA courses.
- Class Petition Restrictions:
- Day sections of MBA core courses (i.e. those with an MBA prefix) are restricted to students in the Full-Time MBA cohort and are, therefore, not options for non-MBA students.
- Online courses with a section number of 77 are generally restricted to students in the Online MBA cohort and may not be options for non-MBA students.
- If the class you are petitioning is closed (full), you are not able to enroll in the course. Waitlists are not available for non-MBA students.
- The Carlson School MBA Program allows non-MBA graduate students to petition to take a maximum of three MBA courses. Requests to be enrolled in additional courses will only be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- All classes must be taken for a letter grade (A/F); courses cannot be taken for pass/fail (S/N) or audit credits.
- Credits taken through the petition process used to fulfill a prior degree's requirements may not later be transferred into an MBA Program at the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management.
- Nearly all Carlson School courses will utilize a Canvas site to support the course. For online courses, all course content will be delivered through the system, while for in-person courses, students will find online content to support in class learning. Most faculty members will make their Canvas site live roughly 1-1.5 weeks prior to the start of a course.
Contact the MBA Student Affairs Team:
The MBA Student Affairs Team reserves the right to update this information as necessary.