Degree-seeking graduate students from other University of Minnesota programs may use this petition process to request enrollment in a total of up to three Carlson MBA courses on a space-available basis.
Please complete and submit the Non-MBA Graduate Student Petition Form to request registration. After submission, students will be notified via University of Minnesota email of the status of their petition within 3-5 business days.
All course petition requests should be submitted at least 3 business days prior to the start of the course to allow for processing time. For official academic dates for full semester, A-term (first seven weeks of a semester), and B-term (second seven weeks of a semester) courses, please see the One Stop Student Services page.
Registration for non-MBA graduate students who submit the online petition form and are approved to take Carlson MBA courses will begin on the dates outlined below. After submitting the petition form, students will receive an email communication on these dates sharing either a permission number to use to register or notification that the class is full.
- May 16, 2018 - Registration for elective courses begins (ex. MGMT 6004 or ENTR 6020)
- August 29, 2018 - Registration for MBA core courses begins (ex. MBA 6030 or MBA 6120)
- November 26, 2018 - Registration for MBA core and elective courses begins (with exception of MBA 6300, MBA 6030, and MBA 6120 for which seats will be released on January 17, 2019)
- March 26, 2019 - Registration for MBA core and elective courses begins
Important Petition Information
- All approvals are issued through the MBA Student Affairs team via the process outline above; do not seek a permission number from faculty members.
- There is no guarantee you will get into any classes.
- If the course you are requesting has a prerequisite you have not met, we may refer you to the instructor for permission to enroll.
- Undergraduate and non-degree seeking students are not permitted to take MBA courses.
- Class Petition Restrictions:
- Day sections of MBA core courses (i.e. those with an MBA prefix) are restricted to students in the Full-Time MBA cohort and are, therefore, not options for non-MBA students.
- If the class you are petitioning is closed (full) you are not able to enroll in the course. Waitlists are not available for non-MBA students.
- The Carlson School MBA Program allows non-MBA graduate students to petition to take a maximum of three MBA courses. Requests to be enrolled in additional courses will only be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- All classes must be taken for a letter grade (A/F); courses cannot be taken for pass/fail (S/N) or audit credits.
MSBA, MS Finance, MS Supply Chain, HRIR, MBT, MAcc, Dental Hygiene, and MHA students should petition through their respective department for admission into an MBA course. Students in these graduate programs should not use the petition form.
The MBA Student Affairs Team reserves the right to update this information as necessary.