International Applicants

Bachelor's degrees

The Carlson School requires a first university degree that is comparable to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Generally this means a degree requiring at least 3-4 years of post-baccalaureate university study. If you are unsure whether your degree is acceptable, please inquire early.

Official transcripts

If you attended universities that issue official transcripts of records upon request, please submit these credentials. We cannot accept attested true copies of records.

Grading systems

If credentials do not show the university grading system, submit an official statement from the university with this information. If credentials do not record the awarding of the degree, submit certified true copies of your diplomas.

Former USSR and Europe

Applicants from these countries should submit official English translations along with credentials in the original language.

People's Republic of China

Please submit official transcripts and degree award statements in English and Chinese.

Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, France, and universities outside North America on the French system

Applicants from universities in these countries may submit certified or attested mark sheets or reports that detail results of all exams. These credentials must be certified by university personnel or government officials. They should bear the original signature of the certifying official. Do not certify your own credentials.

Funding requirements

You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funding to meet all educational expenses for the duration of your study in the United States. This includes tuition, fees, room and board, transportation, and other expenses. Additional financial resources are required if your spouse or children will accompany you.

If you're admitted, you will receive a financial certification statement. The University issues I-20s only after receiving financial support verification.


Part-time students cannot be issued an F-1 or J-1 visa. You must have a work permit or dependent visa in order to pursue the part-time program.

English testing

If English is not your first language, you must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic exam. The Carlson School accepts scores from any of these exams, it is not necessary to take more than one. Scores must be less than two years old when you apply.

You do not need to take an English language test if:

  • You have completed your previous education solely in English in a country where English is not an official language. Your transcript must indicate that English was the language of instruction, or you must provide a statement from your university indicating that English was the sole language of instruction in order to be exempt form the testing requirement.


  • If you have completed the last two years of a bachelor's degree or one year of graduate school (full-time) in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.

You are not exempt if you have lived in an English-speaking country for several years but have not completed any prior education in English.


Typically competitive candidates have scores within the following ranges:

90-105 internet-based TOEFL
600-650 paper-based TOEFL

The Carlson School must receive an official score report directly from the testing service. The code for the Carlson School MBA Program is 6874; the department code is 02.


To be considered for admission, the Carlson School requires a minimum overall band score of 7.0, with no section lower than 6.5.

IELTS test scores are verified using the Test Report Form (TRF) number. You may upload a scanned copy of your IELTS Test Report Form in your application or email the score report to

Please do not request to have the report sent directly to the University of Minnesota MBA Program office, as we cannot receive mail at this time. Score reports will be accepted via email from applicants or the testing agency.

PTE Academic

To be considered for admission, the Carlson School requires a minimum score of 65 on the PTE Academic. The School must receive an official score report from Pearson. When you take the exam, please specify that you wish to have an official score report sent to the Carlson School of Management MBA Programs at program code JP3-5T-48.

Contact Part-Time MBA