Facility Policies

Carlson School and Hanson Hall spaces cannot be used for events or activities that are primarily commercial, political, involve gambling, or are religious in nature. Fundraising or selling of products that benefit organizations outside the University and its recognized foundations is not allowed. The School reserves the right to review proposed activities and refuse rental for non-permissible uses.

Authorized Users are responsible for event supervision during the facility rental/usage period and assume financial liability for any additional custodial services, equipment, damages to rooms and any damage or loss of equipment. Large-scale events, with 150 guests or more, may require additional security (U Police or Security Monitor for example) to be contracted for the duration of the event.

Amplified music and/or sound must be applied in an appropriate manner and volume.  Most spaces are surrounded by areas dedicated to studying or working and music/amplified sound is distracting to many students, faculty and staff who expect a quiet area to study and work.

Large-scale events with attendees of 150pp or more, may require additional security (U Police or Security Monitor) to be contracted for the duration of the event.  https://publicsafety.umn.edu/services/special-event

Rooms and spaces are inspected prior to and after each event. Users are responsible for following room security guidelines for their space, removal of additional equipment or food services and any damage that occurs during usage.

Outside standard building hours, rooms are locked unless they have been reserved through the Office of Classroom Management or Carlson School Building Services. The Security Monitor is authorized to ask that rooms be vacated if User cannot provide documentation of reservation confirmation.

Any additional furniture or A/V equipment must be secured by the User and promptly removed at the conclusion of the rental period. Under no circumstances is furniture to be removed from adjacent areas without permission from a Building & Events Services Manager. Seating/chairs may not be added to exceed stated classroom capacity. Tables or equipment cannot be placed close to entrances blocking access. All fire lanes must remain clear.

AV and IT contacts include: Carlson AV Services at 612-626-7756, HHI Events at 612-626-3501, or University Classroom Technical Services at 612-626-1411

Users are responsible for receiving equipment and directing set-up within the reservation time. Please contact the North-West District Zone Administrator (for West Bank) at Facilities Management at 624-2900 to confirm access through the loading dock door if outside standard building hours, or contact the Building Manager at 624-3842 with specific questions or to check out a parking permit for short-term use. The loading dock is located at the east end of the building (off Fourth Street). The Carlson School does not have accept deliveries or store program materials on site unless approved by a Building Services Manager.

Food may be set up in Carlson-controlled, departmental spaces. If a space is reserved for "staging", users are responsible for providing appropriate floor coverings to protect the carpet. Users will be charged extra if additional custodial services are required to clean the carpet due to lack of proper protection. No food can be brought from off campus for "open distribution" without a Food Permit approved by Environmental Health and Safety (626-3904). Allow two weeks for approval process. Users are responsible for assuring that:

  • A table is provided for any catering items; they are not set up on the desks or computer console.
  • Catering refuse is disposed of in proper trash/recycling containers. Standard quad containers in the rooms are not sufficient for events' refuse.
  • Catering equipment/supplies are to be promptly removed from the room, and spills wiped from all surfaces, by the end of the event.
  • Carpet spills are to be reported immediately to a FM custodian (624-2900) or Carlson Building Services manager (624-3842 or 626-9334).
  • No food or beverage is permitted in 1-114 due to the AV equipment in the space.

Environmental Health & Safety -- Obtaining a Food Permit For Your Event

For the protection of students, staff, and the public attending events on the University of Minnesota property, all food must be prepared in, and/or provided by University of Minnesota Food Service or a licensed commercial food  service, and have the approval of the University Environmental Hygiene Officer (EHO) or designated person. Individuals are required to submit a University Food Permit Form prior to their event. 

More information about events and food permits: https://bcd.umn.edu/food-safety/obtaining-food-permit-your-event

Alcoholic Beverage Policy and Application:  https://policy.umn.edu/operations/alcohol

Posters, flyers, and signs are allowed on the public bulletin boards.  Materials may not be posted with paste, glue, adhesive backing, or similar means; however, the use of staples and tape is permissible. Violators may be billed for the costs of clean up or repairs resulting from inappropriate posting or use of adhesives.  Postings are not allowed in or on the following areas, unless approved by the Carlson School Building Manager:

  • Atrium areas and pillars (easels are allowed)
  • Public/Departmental doors and walls
  • Classroom and breakout rooms
  • Restroom doors and stalls
  • Elevators
  • Windows
  • Stairways

Banners may be hung on the railings above the first floor or lower-level atrium, dependent on available space, in either Hanson Hall or Carlson School. Banners are not allowed to be placed elsewhere within the buildings.

Banners must be related to activities or events being held in, or by, the Carlson School and can be hung one week prior to the event.  The banner must be taken down the last day of the event. 

Banners must be produced by a commercial banner manufacturer, no larger than 4' high x 8' long, and made of fire-retardant materials, and must not touch the atrium light fixtures.