Carlson School of Management’s graduate certificates offer learners an excellent opportunity to gain expertise in specific areas to advance their careers. Learners must apply and be accepted into each graduate certificate area of study to be eligible to receive a certificate and may apply the credits earned through these programs toward a graduate degree at the Carlson School.
Application Dates - Fall and Spring Starts
|Round||Submission Deadlines||Decision Notification|
|Spring (January) Start|
|Round 1||October 15||November 1|
|Round 2||November 15||December 15|
|Round 3||December 15||January 15|
|Fall (September) Start|
|Round 1||May 15||June 1|
|Round 2||June 15||July 15|
|Round 3||July 15||August 1|
*Please note the Business Analytics Certificate only has a Fall start.
Use the information provided below to help guide you through the applications process.
Complete the application online.
Under Program Selection tab, please select 'University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Campus'
Filter by college/school to 'Carlson School of Management'
Under Carlson School of Management Programs select 'Postbaccalaureate Certificate' desired
Unofficial transcripts can be submitted through the online application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for attachment to your application file. Candidates will need to submit a transcript from each college or university where a candidate completed coursework. All transcripts must be received before the application is marked as complete and will be reviewed by the admission committee.
A Minimum of 2 recommendations is required.
Use the online application to provide the names of two professional references; one must be your current supervisor. Your recommendation providers will receive an email from "email@example.com." The subject line will include your name and the words "Recommendation for the University of Minnesota" Please ask your providers to include this email address in their contact lists and to double check spam/junk mail folders if they don't receive the message. Recommendation providers can submit their recommendations anytime, both before AND after you submit your application.
We require two complete recommendations to consider this section complete, but you can list up to six professional recommendations. All completed professional recommendations will be reviewed by the admission committee.
Personal Statement: This section of the application helps the admissions committee get to know you better as an individual, and allows the committee to evaluate the extent to which your skills, interests, values, and career goals are well suited for the program. Please write a personal statement using no more than 500 words (1 page), that addresses the following questions:
- Briefly describe your short-term and long-term career goals.
- Why are you choosing to pursue a certificate at this time in your career, and what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so?
- Why are you interested in pursuing a certificate at the Carlson School of Management?
- What do you feel makes you a strong candidate for the program?
Use this essay to share information that is not presented elsewhere in the application. Your statement should be limited to no more than 250 words (1 page).
The application fee is $75 (non-refundable) for U.S. citizens, international applications, and U.S. residents with foreign credentials. Your application fee will be waived if you have been on active duty in the U.S. military within three years of submitting your application.
Submit a current resume that includes job responsibilities and accomplishments. Resume can include part-time work, internships, graduate assistants, or co-ops as necessary.
Proof of English Language Proficiency is required of all applicants and must be demonstrated in one of the following ways.
- Completed at least the last 2 years of a bachelor's degree or 1 year of graduate school (full-time) in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Africa, or the English-speaking Caribbean and will provide official transcripts
- Completed education solely in English in a country where English is not the official language and will provide documented proof (ex: India)
- Will provide the official results of an English language test taken within the last two years
- The following tests are all accepted:
These requirements are only for applicants to the Business Analytics Certificate.
Completion of College-Level Math Course
Completion of at least one semester of a college-level Math course (e.g. Calculus, Linear Algebra) is required at the time of application. Upload a course description or syllabus in the first upload on the "Business Analytics requirements" page of the application for the course that satisfies this requirement.
Applicants who have not yet completed a Math course should not submit an application to the program until they have completed the course and received a final grade.
Demonstrated Computer Programming Competency
Demonstrated competency in computer programming is required. The following programming languages satisfy the requirement: Python, R, C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Java, PHP, Pascal, and Fortran. Competency is required in only one of these languages. Competency may be demonstrated in one of three ways:
- Academic Coursework - University class on transcript showing formal education in and successful completion of programming coursework as an undergraduate or graduate. Upload a course description or syllabus which includes the name of the programming language learned. This course must appear on your transcript (uploaded in the Educational Background section of this application.) Do not re-upload your transcript on the "Carlson Masters Programs requirements" page of the application; this upload must be a course description or syllabus indicating the language learned in your programming class.
- Professional Experience - Resume indicating specific projects, assignments, or responsibilities with clear details of how computer programming was utilized in a professional, full-time work capacity. Simply listing the programming language you know is not sufficient. You must have bullet points indicating which programming language you use and how you use the programming language to complete your professional work.
- Completion of Online Course - Certificate of completion for online coursework in computer programming with a course duration no less than 20 hours. Please upload a certificate of completion on the "Carlson Masters Programs requirements" page of the application. If the certificate title does not include the programming language used, please include a course description or syllabus with the upload indicating programming language taught.
Applicants who have not yet satisfied the computer programming requirement should not submit an application to the program until they can demonstrate competency in one of the three ways listed above.
- The video essay is a required component of the Business Analytics Certificate application that provides candidates with an opportunity to show the admissions committee the authentic you. Think of this video essay as if you were answering an interview question with a member of our admissions committee.
- You will need to use a computer with camera and microphone capabilities. You will have the ability to test your technology before starting the video essay and submit a practice video essay.
- You can test your technology and run the practice simulation as many times as you wish to be comfortable with the format and technology. You will be able to review your practice video essay(s) and your recording(s) will not be saved beyond the testing phase and will never be reviewed.
- You can also practice responding to impromptu questions offline with a friend or colleague before completing the video essay portion of your application.
- You will be prompted to click "Ready" once you are prepared to submit an official video essay. You will be asked one impromptu question from a bank of imaginative or behavioral questions selected by our admissions team.
- Two minutes (120 seconds) will be provided to prepare an answer and two minutes (120 seconds) to record an answer. Recording will automatically stop after two minutes. You are not required to use the full two minutes. If you have time remaining once complete with your response, click the "Stop Recording" button to end the recording.
- You will only be provided one attempt to record your official video essay.