Integrated Degree (BSB/MHRIR)
The integrated Bachelor of Science in Business (BSB) and Master of Human Resources and Industrial Relations (MHRIR) program is designed for academically talented Carlson School students to obtain both undergraduate and master's degrees in less time (5 years) than it would traditionally take you to earn both degrees independently (6 years).
This program offers several benefits:
- Streamlined admissions from the undergraduate to the graduate program
- Flexibility in fulfilling required courses for both degrees during the senior year
- Quicker move to more strategic HR positions in the job market
Planning is best done in the sophomore year, please connect with your Carlson undergraduate advisor early to help plan coursework.
The fourth year of an IDP student's undergraduate degree will be taken as part of the first-year cohort for the MHRIR program. Coursework cannot be applied to both degree requirements. 12 of the credits taken as part of that first-year cohort will be counted towards the BSB degree and the remaining 13 will be applied to the MHRIR degree.
The student must be awarded their BSB degree before finishing the MHRIR program in the fifth year of their IDP.
Application to the BSB/MHRIR IDP is open to any Carlson School undergraduate student in the spring of their third (junior) year. Any student applying for the IDP program must complete all the requirements for the MHRIR application and go through the application process in its entirety.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Business (BSB) undergraduate program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.
- It is required for applicants to have a 3.25 GPA in BSB courses (transfer credits do not count) to apply.
- Applicants who have transferred from another institution must complete at least one semester at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus, before admission to the program will be granted.
- To be eligible to apply, applicants must be 1) completing their junior year, 2) have flexibility their senior year to complete the requirements for the Bachelor’s degree along with extra coursework.
- Applicants must plan carefully, please connect with your Carlson School undergraduate advisor early.