Economics & Mathematics, Colgate University
Economics, Princeton University
Economics, Princeton University
Labor Relations/Collective Bargaining
John W. Budd is a Professor of Work and Organizations in the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management, where he holds the Industrial Relations Land Grant Chair and is the Director of the Center for Human Resources and Labor Studies. He is a graduate of Colgate University and earned a Ph.D. degree in economics from Princeton University. Professor Budd is the author of Employment with a Human Face: Balancing Efficiency, Equity, and Voice (Cornell University Press), Labor Relations: Striking a Balance (McGraw-Hill/Irwin), Invisible Hands, Invisible Objectives: Bringing Workplace Law and Public Policy into Focus (with Stephen Befort, Stanford University Press), The Thought of Work (Cornell University Press), and numerous journal articles. Professor Budd has also been Director of Graduate Studies for the University of Minnesota's graduate programs in Human Resources and Industrial Relations. Professor Budd's blog is Whither Work?, can follow him on Twitter at @JohnWBudd, and/or take his MOOC "Preparing to Manage Human Resources."
- Labor Relations: Striking a Balance, 5/e, McGraw-Hill, 2018 [Chinese translation: China Machine Press, 2013]
- The Thought of Work, Cornell University Press, 2011 [Spanish translation: Tirant lo Blanch, 2014; Korean translation: Ewha Press, 2016; Turkish translation: Ayrinti Publishers, 2016; Chinese translation: Tsinghua University Press, forthcoming]
- Invisible Hands, Invisible Objectives: Bringing Workplace Law and Public Policy Into Focus, with S. Befort, Stanford University Press, 2009 [Chinese translation: China Worker Publishing House, forthcoming]
- The Ethics of Human Resources and Industrial Relations, edited with J. Scoville, Labor and Employment Relations Association, 2005
- Employment with a Human Face: Balancing Efficiency, Equity, and Voice, Cornell University Press, 2004 [Chinese translation: Peking University Press, 2007; Arabic translation: Al-Ahlia, 2007]
- SELECTED JOURNAL ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Learning About Democracy at Work: Cross-National Evidence on the Effects of Employee Participation in Workplace Decision-Making on Political Participation in Civil Society,” with J.R. Lamare and A. Timming, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, forthcoming
- "Are Voluntary Agreements Better? Evidence from Baseball Arbitration," with A. Sojourner and J. Jung, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2017.
- "The Eye Sees What the Mind Knows: The Conceptual Foundations of Invisible Work," in M. Crain et al. (eds.), Invisible Labor: Hidden Work in the Contemporary World, 2016.
- "Worker Well-Being and the Importance of Work: Bridging the Gap," with D. Spencer, European Journal of Industrial Relations, 2015.
- "The Goals and Assumptions of Conflict Management in Organizations," with A. Colvin, in W. Roche et al. (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Conflict Resolution in Organizations, 2014.
- "Implicit Public Values and the Creation of Publicly Valuable Outcomes: The Importance of Work and the Contested Role of Labor Unions," Public Administration Review, 2014.
- "What Do Unions in China Do? Provincial-Level Evidence on Wages, Employment, Productivity, and Economic Output," with W. Chi, Y. Wang, and Q. Xie, Journal of Labor Research, 2014.
- "The Future of Employee Voice," in A. Wilkinson et al. (eds.), The Handbook of Research on Employee Voice, 2014.
- "When Do U.S. Workers First Experience Unionization? Implications for Revitalizing the Labor Movement," Industrial Relations, 2010
- "First-Timers and Late-Bloomers: Youth-Adult Unionization Differences in a Cohort of the U.S. Labor Force," with J. Booth and K. Munday, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2010.
- "Never Say Never? Uncovering the Never-Unionized in the United States," with J. Booth and K. Munday, British Journal of Industrial Relations, 2010.
- "The Employment Relationship," with D. Bhave, in A. Wilkinson et al. (eds.), Sage Handbook of Human Resource Management, 2010 [Chinese translation appears in Human Resource Development of China, 2011]
- "Public Policy and Employee Participation," with S. Zagelmeyer, in A. Wilkinson et al. (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Participation in Organizations, 2010.
- "Does Employee Ignorance Undermine Shared Capitalism?" in J. Blasi et al. (eds), Shared Capitalism at Work: The Economic Effects of Employee Ownership, Profit Sharing, Gainsharing, and Broad-based Stock Options, 2010.
- "Values, Ideologies, and Frames of Reference in Industrial Relations," with D. Bhave, in P. Blyton et al. (eds.), Sage Handbook of Industrial Relations, 2008
- "Improved Metrics for Workplace Dispute Resolution Procedures: Efficiency, Equity, and Voice," with A. Colvin, Industrial Relations, 2008
- Employee Voice
- The Effects of Labor Unions
- Frames of Reference
- Conflict Resolution
- Editorial Board, British Journal of Industrial Relations, 2007-present.
- Editorial Board, Human Resource Management Journal, 2017-present.
- Editorial Board, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2003-present.
Editorial Board, Labour and Industry, 2016-present.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Award, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2005, 2011, 2015
- Texty Textbook Excellence Award, Textbook and Academic Authors Association, 2005
- Richard A. Lester Prize for the Outstanding Book in Labor Economics and Industrial Relations, Princeton University, 2004
- Industrial Relations Research Association, Excellence in Education Award, 2001
- Industrial Relations Research Association Outstanding Young Scholar Award, 1998
- Executive Board, Labor and Employment Relations Association, 2014-2020.