Now, it's your chance to win $1,000 in prizes!
What: Opportunity to make a 90-second pitch on your new business idea to a panel of entrepreneurs and investors
Why: Cash prizes, feedback from experienced entrepreneurs and investors. Prior participants have gone on to raise capital and launch their BizPitch ideas.
Who: Any undergraduate student currently enrolled at the University of Minnesota
When: April 13, 2017 from 12:00 - 1:00 PM
Where: Carlson, Room L-118
- Submit online application: Apply by 3/31
- All applicants will receive feedback and advice on developing their idea
- Finalists will be notified of advancement by April 7th
- Coaching and assistance available for finalists
- Give your 90-second pitch in front of panel of judges
- $1,000 Grand Prize
- $100 Most Creative
- $100 Social Category
- $100 People’s Choice Award
- Winners will also be provided access to advisory services through the Holmes Center's Business Hatchery to support them in their launch of their business idea. Past Biz Pitch contestants have received pro bono legal services, advice from Entreprenuers-in-Residence and grants from the Seed Capital Fund.
Hints and Tips
What makes a good business pitch? Answer these questions succinctly and you're done!
- What is your product or service? Very simply describe what it is you sell. Be clear, but do not go into excruciating detail.
- What need does it address? What problem do you solve? What is the compelling need?
- Who is your customer and how big is the market? Briefly discuss who you are selling the product or service to. How will they buy it and how large of a market does it represent?
- Who is your competition? Don't have any? Think again. Briefly discuss who they are and what they have accomplished. Successful competition can be proof that a market exists.
- What is your competitive advantage? Clearly communicate how your product/service is superior and why you have an advantage over the competition.
- What is your business model? How do you expect to generate revenue and make money?
- Who will run the company? Tell them a little about you and your team's capabilities and why you can capture this opportunity.