Housing Information

How to Apply for On-Campus Housing

  • Submit an Online Application

    A link to this application will be emailed to all accepted exchange students

    Incoming exchange students who would like to live in on-campus housing will apply for housing through an online application.  

    Please note: students are not able to complete the online housing application until after they have received their student ID number and University of Minnesota email address. Students will receive their student ID numbers in the mail with their official acceptance letter in early summer.  On the online application, students will be able to indicate their housing preferences (hall/number of roommates ect).
  • Deadline
    There is no official deadline to submit your online application for on-campus housing.  However, on-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot guarantee University housing, so we encourage students to apply online as soon as they receive their student ID number and UMN email address. 
  • Placement
    The housing staff will try their best to meet your preferences for location and room size, but rooms and preferences are not guaranteed.
    Exchange students will be placed in Yudof Hall or Radius. Most UMN students living in the Yudof Hall or Radius are 2nd, 3rd or 4th year bachelor students. Depending on time of application submission and availability, exchange students can also be placed in Centennial Hall; most UMN students living in Centennial Hall are 1st or 2nd year bachelor students. If you are placed in university housing, you will be billed a non-refundable USD $50 application fee upon arrival.
  • Rates
    Housing rates can be found at Housing and Residential Life.
  • Meal Plan
    If you live in an on-campus apartment (for example, Yudof Hall or Radius), or if you live off campus, you can choose to purchase a meal plan, but it isn't required. If you select Centennial Hall for on-campus housing, please note that a meal plan is required in this hall only. More information about meal plan options can be found at Housing and Residential Life.
  • Household Furnishings
    Apartments are often furnished, but typically will not have everything you will need during your stay. For example, TVs, pots and pans, dishes and linens are usually NOT included in your apartment. There are several retail stores close to campus and easily accessible by bus if you need to purchase items upon arrival. You may also choose to rent some items during your stay. For information on Yudof Hall or Radius amenities, furnishings, rates, and room types, please visit the Yudof or Radius website. 
  • Temporary housing
    You may need to arrive on campus before your housing contract begins, depending on the type of housing you choose. You should arrange temporary housing before your arrive. Fall semester students can arrange for temporary on-campus housing through the International Reception Center (IRC) from mid-July to late August.

    The IRC is not open for spring semester students. The Carlson Global Institute will work with you to arrange for housing during the Welcome Program.

How to Apply for Off-Campus Housing

We strongly recommend that you secure housing before arrival. If you do not reserve housing in advance, you must arrive in Minneapolis early to find suitable accommodations. The Carlson School Welcome Program is a mandatory program, and you will not be allowed to skip sessions for apartment visits and lease signings.

Here are some resources and things to consider if you are looking for housing off campus:


  • Off-campus housing accommodations vary widely in cost and quality. Review your options carefully before making your off-campus housing decision.
  • Most apartments offer 9- or 12-month leases. It can be difficult to find an apartment for just one semester.
  • Keep in mind that it is difficult and expensive to be released from a housing contract or apartment lease.
  • The Carlson Global Institute office is limited in its ability to help you with off-campus housing. You will need to apply directly to the housing office or manager of the apartment.
  • Apartments and dorm rooms are often furnished, but typically will not have everything you will need during your stay. For example, TVs, pots and pans, dishes and linens are usually NOT included with your apartment or dorm.

Off-Campus Housing Resources

University of Minnesota Off-Campus Housing offers resources for finding housing near the university.

Contact Carlson Global Institute