Arrival and Welcome Program
Send the following information to email@example.com several weeks prior to your arrival:
- Arrival date
- Airline and flight number
- Address in the United States
Complete the Required Immunizations
- Complete the 3-step checklist for incoming international students found on Boynton Health Service - International Students.
- Complete step one by obtaining the required immunizations at home and completing the online immunization form before you arrive in Minnesota. This will help ensure that your course enrollment is not delayed. If you are not able to have the required tests/immunizations ahead of your arrival you can complete them on campus during Welcome Program.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- Tetanus/diphtheria (Td)
The suggested arrival dates for 2021-2022 are:
- Fall semester: August 25-27, 2021
- Spring semester: January 5-7, 2022
Exchange students need to attend an Immigration Check-in Meeting before the first day of the Welcome Program. If students do not attend this meeting they will not able to register for classes at the University of Minnesota. More detailed information about these meetings will be sent to accepted students directly.
Due to frequent airplane flight delays, students are encouraged to consider arriving 1–2 days before the official arrival day. Participation in the Welcome Program is required and we strongly discourage late arrivals.
Students on J-1 visas and with home school permission can enter the United States before the program starts. If you're planning to arrive before or after the official arrival date, please inform the Carlson Global Institute office.
It is very easy to travel from the airport to campus. Print these instructions and ask someone for help if you need it. Remember to write down the address of where you are staying and bring it with you—the driver will bring you directly there.
Most students take flights that arrive at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. If possible, we recommend that you plan to arrive during normal business hours. There are two terminals at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport; see terminal information.
- Terminal 1-Lindbergh
- Taxi service at Terminal 1-Lindbergh is accessible via the Tram Level. Signs will direct you one level up to the cab starter booth, where airport staff will assist you in obtaining a taxi. The University of Minnesota is approximately 16 miles from the airport, with fares averaging $25–$35. All cab fares are metered and include a $2.50 trip fee which allows drivers to recoup airport permit fees.
- Another transportation option is the SuperShuttle. Reservations are not required. After claiming your luggage, follow signs to the Ground Transportation Center (lower level). SuperShuttle is conveniently located inside the terminal near the Hotel Shuttle Service boarding area. Approximate one-way fare to campus is $13–$17 per person.
- Terminal 2-Humphrey
- A few international flights also arrive at Terminal 2-Humphrey. Please visit that site for more information.
The Welcome Program is a week-long orientation program for all exchange students studying at the Carlson School put on by the Carlson Global Institute. Attendance is mandatory for all exchange students. The program is held the week before the beginning of each semester. You will receive specific information about Welcome Program logistics via email a few weeks before arrival.
Welcome Program activities include Carlson School orientation, course registration, special academic sessions, Business in the Twin Cities orientation, and optional evening social events hosted by the GLOBE student group.
GLOBE is a student organization in the Carlson School that offers support to incoming exchange students studying at the Carlson School. GLOBE hosts social events throughout the semester and Welcome Program for incoming exchange students and current GLOBE members. GLOBE also manages the buddy program for incoming exchange students. All incoming exchange students have to option to sign up for a GLOBE Buddy for the semester/academic year. GLOBE Buddies are Carlson undergraduate students. Events for the semester will be posted on the GLOBE Facebook page - accepted exchange students will be emailed a link to the Facebook page before arrival.
The GLOBE contact email is: firstname.lastname@example.org