Arrival and Welcome Program
Complete the Required Immunizations:
Boynton Health is our on-campus healthcare system. Boynton requires all UMN students to be immunized against certain diseases, and all students must provide proof of these immunizations. See Boynton Health Services website here for immunization requirements and submitting proof of vaccinations.
Complete the International Student and Scholar Services Preparation Course:
All international students are required to complete the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Prep course prior to arrival in the United States. More information about the ISSS Prep course can be found on the ISSS website here.
The suggested arrival dates for 2022-2023 are:
- Fall semester: August 24-26, 2022
- Spring semester: January 4-6, 2023
Exchange students need to complete an Immigration Check-in before the first day of the Welcome Program. Students must complete their immigration check-in before registering for courses. More detailed information about Immigration Check-In will be sent to accepted students directly.
Due to frequent airplane flight delays, students are encouraged to consider arriving 4-5 days before Welcome Program. Participation in the Welcome Program is required and we strongly discourage late arrivals.
Students on F-1 visas and with home school permission can enter the United States before the program starts. If you're planning to arrive before or after the official arrival date, please inform the Carlson Global Institute office.
It is very easy to travel from the airport to campus. Most students take flights that arrive at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. If possible, we recommend that you plan to arrive during normal business hours. There are two terminals at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport; see terminal information.
- Terminal 1
- Taxi service at Terminal 1 is accessible via the Tram Level. Signs will direct you one level up to the cab starter booth, where airport staff will assist you in obtaining a taxi. The University of Minnesota is approximately 16 miles from the airport, with fares averaging $25–$35. All cab fares are metered and include a $2.50 trip fee which allows drivers to recoup airport permit fees.
- Another transportation option is the SuperShuttle. Reservations are not required. After claiming your luggage, follow signs to the Ground Transportation Center (lower level). SuperShuttle is conveniently located inside the terminal near the Hotel Shuttle Service boarding area. Approximate one-way fare to campus is $13–$17 per person.
- Terminal 2
- A few international flights also arrive at Terminal 2. Please visit the MSP Airport website for more information.
The Welcome Program is a week-long orientation program for all exchange students studying at the Carlson School put on by the Carlson Global Institute. Attendance is mandatory for all exchange students. The program is held the week before the beginning of each semester. You will receive specific information about Welcome Program logistics via email a few weeks before arrival.
Welcome Program activities include Carlson School orientation, course registration, special academic sessions, and optional evening social events hosted by the GLOBE student group.
GLOBE is a student organization in the Carlson School that offers support to incoming exchange students studying at the Carlson School. GLOBE hosts social events throughout Welcome Program and the semester for incoming exchange students and current GLOBE members. GLOBE also manages the buddy program for incoming exchange students. All incoming exchange students have to option to sign up for a GLOBE Buddy for the semester/academic year. GLOBE Buddies are Carlson undergraduate students. Events for the semester will be sent to accepted exchange students directly.
Contact GLOBE at email@example.com