Carlson Global Institute Scholarships
To support the International Experience for Carlson undergraduate students, the Carlson Global Institute offers scholarships. To prepare for your International Experience, we encourage you to plan ahead, apply for scholarships well in advance, and complete your financial aid paperwork on time.
Eligibility & Award Criteria
Carlson undergraduate students participating in Carlson Global Institute (CGI)* or the University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center (LAC) programs* are eligible to apply for a need-based scholarship and CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship). Carlson students may receive one need-based scholarship during their academic career to fulfill the International Experience. Students may receive one Undergraduate Fellowship per study abroad program. It is possible to receive both a need-based scholarship and Undergraduate Fellowship for the same study abroad program.
* Note: Scholarships cannot be applied to virtual learning abroad programs at this time *
Scholarship Types & Application Instructions
To be considered for a need-based scholarship, you must submit your Financial Aid Summary to the "CGI Need Scholarship (Optl)" item on your program's online checklist.
- To access your Financial Aid Summary, navigate to your Award Summary in MyU (instructions: http://onestop.umn.edu/howto/view_fa.html) and then click "Financial Aid Summary."
- To upload your Financial Aid Summary, copy and paste the information into a Microsoft Word document.
Your FAFSA information will be reviewed to determine eligibility for a need-based award.
- Students admitted to the Carlson School in Fall 2020 and after are automatically considered for this scholarship upon admission. If you have any questions please reach out to email@example.com
- Students admitted to the Carlson School in Summer 2020 and earlier, should apply to this scholarship to be considered
- If your financial situation has changed since completing your FAFSA please contact One Stop Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-1111 to make any appropriate adjustments prior to applying for a need-based scholarship
- If your financial situation has changed since your admission as a Fall 2020 and after student, please reach out to email@example.com with questions
To be considered for the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship), you must submit a document to the "CGI UG Fellowship (Opt)" item on your program's online checklist.
Fellowship Essay Requirements
Submit an essay of no more than 2 pages, double spaced, 12-pt font and normal margins that answers two of the following three prompts:
- Identify a social/political/business current event in the country of your program choice. Why is this current event compelling to you? How may this impact your time abroad?
- Think of a time in your life when you needed to be flexible and adapt; what was the situation and how did you overcome and learn from it?
- Identify someone who could be considered a leader from the country of your program choice; which of their leadership qualities do you find most important and/or do you identify with?
We encourage you to utilize your resources at the Carlson School Undergraduate Business Career Center and University of Minnesota Center for Writing.
Quotes or sections from your application materials may be featured on CGI's website and/or publications. Do not submit any information or personal details that you would prefer to keep private.
This is a merit-based scholarship which uses a broader definition of "merit" to include more than just academic performance. Your Essay and GPA will be reviewed to determine eligibility for the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship.
Reporting to a member of the CGI team, awardees will choose three prompts from a provided list to respond to during or post studying abroad. Response submissions can take the form of a written blurb, photo series, and/or short video. Further instructions for these submissions will be provided to awardees, but below are a few examples of possible prompts:
- What is a day in the life of your program?
- How do you see your identity influencing your experience abroad?
- Tell a story about your single best day on the program.
- Introduce us to someone in your host community who is doing business as a force for good.
- What is your most interesting or impactful cultural takeaway?
These submissions well be featured on CGI's website and may be featured in publications. Do not submit any information or personal details that you would prefer to keep private.
Review Cycles & Deadlines
CGI reviews scholarship applications according to the review cycles below and type of scholarship.
- NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP applications are reviewed each scholarship cycle. For full consideration, students should apply to the scholarship deadline on or nearest their program priority application deadline. If you miss the scholarship deadline associated with your program, submit your application by the next cycle deadline.
- UNDERGRADUATE FELLOWSHIP applications are reviewed only with the associated scholarship cycle outlined below. Any fellowship applications received after the deadline will NOT be reviewed.
- *Business in Dublin and Business in Barcelona are semester-length joint programs between CGI and LAC, and student participants should follow the deadlines within the "UG Fellowship Review (LAC PROGRAMS)" column of the table below.
Notifications will be sent in 30 days, or the following weekday if the that date falls on a weekend or holiday.
|Deadline||Need-Based Scholarship Review||UG Fellowship Review (CGI PROGRAMS)||UG Fellowship Review (LAC PROGRAMS)||UG Fellowship Awards Available|
|October 15th||All Programs||Global Enrichment Spring Break & May Programs||Winter Break & Spring Semester Programs||6 awards of $1,000 each|
|December 1st||All Programs||None||None||None|
|February 1st at 12:00pm CST||All Programs||Global Immersion Semester & Summer Programs*||Spring Break, May Session, & Summer Programs||8 awards of $1,000 each|
|April 1st||All Programs||Global Enrichment January Programs||Fall Semester Programs*||6 awards of $1,000 each|
|June 15th||All Programs||None||None||None|