To support the International Experience for Carlson undergraduate students, the Carlson Global Institute offers scholarships. To prepare for your International Experience, we encourage you to plan ahead, apply for scholarships well in advance, and complete your financial aid paperwork on time.
Eligibility and Award Criteria
Carlson undergraduate students participating in Carlson Global Institute (CGI) or the University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center (LAC) programs are eligible to apply for a need-based scholarship and CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship). Carlson students may receive one need-based scholarship during their academic career to fulfill the International Experience. Students may receive one Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship) per study abroad program. It is possible to receive both a need-based scholarship and Undergraduate Fellowship for the same study abroad program.
Scholarship Types and Application Instructions
APPLICATION MATERIALS: To be considered for a need-based scholarship, you must submit your Financial Aid Summary to the "CGI Need Scholarship (Optnl)" item on your program's online checklist.
- To access your Financial Aid Summary, navigate to your Award Summary on MyU (instructions: http://onestop.umn.edu/howto/view_fa.html) and then click "Financial Aid Summary."
- To upload your Finanancial Aid Summary, copy and paste the information into a Microsoft Word document
ELIGIBILITY: Your FAFSA information will be reviewed to determine eligibility for a need-based award.
- If your financial situation has changed since completing your FAFSA, contact OneStop Student Services at email@example.com or 612-624-1111 to make any appropriate adjustments prior to applying for a need-based scholarship.
CGI UNDERGRADUATE FELLOWSHIP
APPLICATION MATERIALS: To be considered for the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship, you must submit a cover letter AND personal statement as one document to the "CGI Merit Scholarship (Optnl)" item on your program's online checklist.
- The COVER LETTER should describe why you are a compelling candidate for the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship). Highlight accomplishments and qualifications from academic, leadership, internship, job, volunteer, case competition, community involvement, and/or extracurricular experience. This cover letter should not include financial information.
- The PERSONAL STATEMENT should answer both of the below prompts:
- Briefly describe yourself, how you identify yourself within the Carlson School and larger world, and your main goal(s) for your study abroad program.
- The Carlson School has identified 'business as a force for good' as an essential foundation to the mission, vision, and future of the school. Describe your short-term and long-term career goals, and how you see their alignment with 'business as a force for good.'
- EXAMPLE OUTLINE: UG Fellowship Application Materials Outline, Cover Letter + Personal Statement (532.39 KB)
- We encourage you to utilize your resources at the Undergraduate Business Career Center.
- Quotes or sections from your CGI Undergraduate Fellowship application materials may be featured on CGI's website and/or publications. Do not submit any information or personal details that you would prefer to keep private.
ELIGIBILITY: Your cover letter, personal statement, and GPA will be reviewed to determine eligibility for the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship).
FELLOW DELIVERABLES: Reporting to a member of the CGI team, awardees will choose three prompts from a provided list to respond to during or post studying abroad. Response submissions can take the form of a written blurb, photo series, and/or short video.
- Further instructions for these submissions will be provided to awardees, but below are a few examples of possible prompts:
- What is a day in the life of your program?
- How do you see your identity influencing your experience abroad?
- Tell a story about your single best day on the program.
- Introduce us to someone in your host community who is doing business as a force for good.
- What is your most interesting cultural takeaway?
- These submissions will be featured on CGI's website and may be featured in publications. Do not submit any information or personal details that you would prefer to keep private.
Review Cycles and Deadlines
CGI reviews scholarship applications according to the review cycles below and type of scholarship.
NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP applications are reviewed each scholarship cycle. For full consideration, students should apply to the scholarship deadline on or nearest their program priority application deadline. If you miss the scholarship deadline associated with your program, submit your application by the next cycle deadline. Applications received after their associated deadline will be reviewed in the next cycle on a funds-available basis.
UNDERGRADUATE FELLOWSHIP applications are reviewed only with the scholarship cycle associated with the program priority application deadline. Any CGI Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship) applications recieved after the deadline will not be reviewed.
|Scholarship Cycle Deadline||Need-Based Scholarship Review||Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship) Review||Undergraduate Fellowship (merit-based scholarship) Awards|
|October 1st||All Programs||
CGI Global Enrichment Spring Programs (abroad Spring Break or May)
LAC Winter Break & Spring Semester Programs **
|6 awards of $1,000|
|December 1st||All Programs||None||None|
|February 1st||All Programs||
CGI Global Immersion Semester & Summer Programs **
LAC Spring Break, May Session, & Summer Programs
|8 awards of $1,000|
|April 1st||All Programs||
CGI Global Enrichment Fall Programs (abroad January)
LAC Fall Semester Programs **
|6 awards of $1,000|
|June 15th||All Programs||None||None|
** "Business in Dublin" is a semester-length joint program between CGI and LAC. Students applying to this program for the fall semester should apply to the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship deadline of April 1st (aligning with the "LAC Fall Semester Programs" deadline in the table above). Students applying to this program for the spring semester should apply to the CGI Undergraduate Fellowship deadline of October 1st (aligning with the "LAC Spring Semester Programs" deadline in the table above).
Notifications will be sent by the 1st of the following month, or the following weekday if it falls on a weekend or holiday.