Financing Your International Experience
In planning for your International Experience, there are many resources available to help you understand the wide spectrum of costs associated with different study abroad programs and how to finance the program that is right for you. We recommend that you utilize the resources listed below early on as you begin planning for your International Experience.
Most financial aid can be applied to study abroad. Follow these steps to be considered for financial aid:
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) through the Office of Student Finance within One Stop.
- Before you apply for a program, schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting with an adviser at the Office of Student Finance within One Stop to discuss how your financial aid package could be adjusted to accommodate the cost of studying abroad.
- After being accepted into a program, the Carlson Global Institute or Learning Abroad Center will provide you with a Study Abroad Cost Estimate (SACE) form. You must provide this form to an adviser at the Office of Student Finance within One Stop in order adjust your financial aid package.
There are many scholarships available for your study abroad program:
- Carlson Global Institute Scholarships
- Learning Abroad Center Scholarships
- University of Minnesota's Study Abroad Scholarship Search Engine
- China Center Study Abroad Scholarships
Upfront Cost Assistance
Both the Carlson Global Institute and Learning Abroad Center offer solutions to assist students who do not immediately have funds available to cover upfront costs associated with their study abroad program (such as airfare and program deposits), enabling the student to pay for these costs with their financial aid package.
- Comparing Study Abroad Program Costs
- "You CAN Afford to Study Abroad" Information Sessions
- University Veterans Services
- Student Parent Help Center
Choosing the right program for you and your goals while evaluating program costs and researching your financial resources can be complex, but we are here to support you! If you have any questions regarding program costs and financing study abroad, we invite you to contact our scholarships adviser, Anne M. Hilborn, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-626-5802. You may also schedule an appointment with Anne by contacting the Carlson Global Institute's front desk at email@example.com or 612-625-9361