When you're ready, complete the online application. The first portion of the application must be completed in one session, but you may upload your essay and resume at a later time.
To apply for an Education Abroad program, complete the following steps.
Start the online application. The first portion of the online application must be completed in one session. You will be charged a $50 application fee for each academic term you apply for. The fee will be charged automatically when you submit your application.
Each program requires a separate application and essay.
Rank your programs based on your preference.
- Global Enrichment short-term programs: rank up to TWO programs per application cycle.
- Global Immersion semester or summer programs: rank up to THREE programs for consideration. We encourage you to select multiple programs, as space at some partner schools is very limited.
After completing the previous section, you will be assigned an application checklist of required application materials (essay/statement of interest and resume). All required items must be uploaded by the application deadline.
Your application will be considered complete after receiving your essay & resume, though you may complete as many of the checklist items as are applicable to you (Graduate Fellowship essay, for example). Please note that Graduate Fellowships are reviewed on the same cycle as the program application, so it is in your best interest to complete that essay at the same time as the program application!
Upload an essay for each program to your application checklist. The essay questions are as follows:
Global Immersion semester or summer programs:
Write an essay of no more than two pages, double spaced, that answers the following questions:
- Why is this particular semester exchange/summer program and host university a good fit for you? Please list 2 examples specific to your host institution. It can relate to your academics, personal goals, or professional goals. Additionally, how do you plan to engage in the communities in your host school?
- Semester exchange/summer programs require students to demonstrate a great deal of flexibility and adaptability. Many Carlson students find the adjustment to a new academic environment to be challenging. Please share a personal example of a time you demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in a challenging academic situation when you did not agree with the outcome. What did you learn from this experience and how will it help you be successful on a semester exchange/summer program?
Graduate Global Enrichment short-term programs:
Write a one-page, double-spaced statement of interest responding to the following question:
- What are your academic, professional, and cultural goals for studying abroad and how does this program fulfill those goals?
Your application will be considered complete after receiving your essay & resume, though you may complete as many of the checklist items as are applicable to you (Graduate Fellowship essay, for example). Please note that Graduate Fellowships are reviewed on the same cycle as the program application, so it is in your best interest to complete your scholarship essay at the same time as the program application!
Graduate Fellowship Instructions
Please visit the "Fellowships" information page for details on deadlines and application instructions.