COVID-19 is disrupting education abroad programming and we will keep this page updated with details. Please review the FAQs below and don't hesitate to reach out to the Education Abroad team with any questions you might have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Carlson Global Institute (CGI) Programs:
- Summer 2021 Business Exchange Programs
The following CGI exchange programs have been cancelled for Summer 2021. This list will be updated if additional programs are cancelled, and students accepted/confirmed on those programs will be contacted directly by the Carlson Global Institute:
- Antai Summer Program (China)
- Copenhagen Business School International Summer University Program (Denmark)
- CIMBA Italy (Italy)
- BI Norwegian Business School Summer School (Norway)
- Business in Dublin (Ireland)
- Fall 2021 Business Semester Exchange Programs
The following CGI exchange programs have been cancelled for Fall 2021. All other Fall 2021 exchange programs are running as scheduled. This list will be updated if additional programs are cancelled, and students accepted or confirmed on those programs will be contacted directly by the Carlson Global Institute:
- Lingnan (University) College at Sun Yat-Sen University (China)
- Thammasat Business School (Thailand)
- University of Technology Sydney (Australia)
- University of Otago (New Zealand)
- Spring 2022 Business Semester Exchange Programs
All CGI exchange programs are running as scheduled for the Spring 2022 term. If that were to change and programs get cancelled, this website will be updated and accepted/confirmed students on the program will be contacted directly by the Carlson Global Institute
- Business in Dublin and Business in Barcelona Programs
Business in Dublin and Business in Barcelona program are offered in partnership between CGI and the LAC. If these programs get cancelled, this website will be updated and accepted/confirmed students on the program will be contacted directly by the Carlson Global Institute
January, Spring Break & May Global Enrichment
CGI Spring Break & May 2021 programs have been converted to domestic offerings and will not travel overseas. Faculty have fully redesigned their courses for a domestic format, incorporating many international and intercultural touch points.
These courses will fulfill the International Experience expectation for enrolled students and you can enroll just like any other class at your designated registration time.
CGI January 2022 programs had an April 1, 2021 priority deadline. All programs currently intend to travel abroad.
Learning Abroad Center (LAC) Programs:
Any credit-bearing Learning Abroad Center program that travels abroad will continue to fulfill the Carlson International Experience.
- Spring Break & May 2021 Programs
The majority of LAC Spring Break and May programs have been cancelled. See the Learning Abroad Center website for full details and updates.
If your program is cancelled or changed to a domestic format, your CGI application fee will be refunded to your student account.
If your program is cancelled or changed to a domestic format, you will not be charged a CGI program fee. If you have already been charged, the program fee will be refunded to your student account.
Please allow several weeks for these changes to appear on your student account due to fiscal year end delays.
Study abroad scholarships must be applied towards International Experiences with a Program Fee. If you are participating on a program without travel abroad and a program fee to fulfill the International Experience, you cannot apply your study abroad scholarship. However, if you received a study abroad scholarship as part of your admissions package, you may be able to apply it to a domestic experience.
If you choose to participate in a future program with a program fee, you can apply your current study abroad scholarship to that program.
Please reach out to the Scholarships Program Manager, Maxine Kobinski, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have individual questions about your scholarship.
International experience remains a signature component of the Carlson degree, and recent events have highlighted the need for the kinds of skills and attributes gained through global exposure (adaptability, tolerance for ambiguity, and navigating cultural difference, to name a few).
A variety of temporary exceptions were made in spring 2020 to accommodate graduating students in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Going forward, students will have expanded options to fulfill the International Experience, based on graduation term. See below for a list of current options. A petition process will continue to exist to accommodate individual student circumstances.
The International Experience remains as a key component of your Carlson degree. Due to the uncertainties of COVID-19, additional temporary options have been added to provide flexibility for students and ensure timely progress toward graduation.
These timelines will be revisited each term and adjusted if needed based on changing circumstances. We encourage you to reach out to your academic advisor or study abroad advisor with any additional questions or concerns.
Options available to undergraduate students depend on graduation date. Review the details below according to your planned graduation term.
- Graduation prior to Fall 2022
Students who graduate before Fall 2022 may choose from the following options:
- Any credit-bearing study abroad program offered through the Carlson Global Institute (CGI) or Learning abroad Center (LAC)
- Any CGI program that is converted to a domestic format*
- Virtual international internships offered through the LAC
- An approved domestic course with significant intercultural content and interaction:
- IBUS 3090: 2 sections of Understanding International Business offered in Fall 2021, check Schedule Builder for registration details
- Graduation in Fall 2022 or beyond
Students who graduate in Fall 2022 or later may choose from the following options:
- Any credit-bearing study abroad program offered through the Carlson Global Institute (CGI) or Learning abroad Center (LAC).
- Any CGI program that is converted to a domestic format*
- Virtual international internships offered through the LAC if completed by summer 2022.
*We do not anticipate disruptions to January travel, but in the event that travel to one or more destinations is prohibited, the affected CGI Global Enrichment courses will convert to domestic offerings.
- Any credit-bearing study abroad program offered through the Carlson Global Institute
- Any CGI Global Enrichment program offered domestically
- Complete a 4-credit “glocal” offering
CGI advisors and your academic advisor are ready to support you through virtual appointments.
Contact Education Abroad
- Email: email@example.com