Living in Minneapolis
Join a Thriving Community
As a Carlson School student, you'll find yourself in a flourishing business community, located in a region noted for exceptional quality of life.
Minnesota is the top state for business - CNBC
Fortune 500 Company Headquarters
of the largest private companies in the United States
Best City for Job Seekers - Nerd Wallet
Best City for Young Entrepreneurs - Nerd Wallet
Top City in the World for Attracting Recent Graduates - LinkedIn
Lowest unemployment rate in the United States
Healthiest City in America - Forbes
Enjoy a Vibrant Social Scene and Quality of Life
The Minneapolis area is nationally acclaimed for its quality of life and abundance of entertainment offerings. You'll find everything you could want in city life here. Enjoy world-class museums, professional sports teams, great food, fantastic music, and an abundance of green space. Minneapolis is truly a great place to live.
Minneapolis-St. Paul is home to several professional sports teams: the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Lynx, Wild, and United FC play in some of the country's most state-of-the-art stadiums. Get active yourself at the University's world-class recreation center, or in one of dozens of intramural sports leagues.
Green space amid city living: Outdoor amenities in the area surrounding the Carlson School campus include more than 170 parks (nearly 17% of the city), 120 miles of bike trails, and of course, lakes. Minnesota is knows as the Land of 10,000 lakes, and beaches, boating, and fishing are always nearby.
Arts and Culture
Dining and Nightlife
Moving to Minneapolis
- Living Near Campus: The Carlson School is surrounded by several distinct and welcoming neighborhoods. The majority of Carlson School's students choose to live off campus.
- Living On Campus: As one of the largest universities in the country, the University of Minnesota has plenty of on-campus housing options for students. Housing options range from residence halls to groups of students with similar academic or cultural interests living together in tight-knit Living Learning Communities. View Housing & Residential Life
- Living in Surrounding Areas: Some students choose to live in nearby cities outside of Minneapolis.
- Bike: This is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the nation. Pedal your own wheels or hop on a Nice Ride rental.
- Bus & Light Rail: Free shuttles will carry you everywhere on campus, while buses and light rail take you swiftly around the Twin Cities. Public transit is the most inexpensive way of getting to campus, and students can purchase a deeply discounted transit pass for 24/7 unlimited access to the system.
- Drive to School: Drive to campus and park in one of the many lots around the Carlson School. Contract parking passes are also available to students each semester.