Analytics U at the Carlson School of Management is a free week-long pathway program for underrepresented high school students, introducing them to how data science can play a critical role in solving real world problems that impact our everyday lives. The program will also include:
- College access and professional development opportunities*
- Connections and networking with industry professionals in the metropolitan area (Target and Land O’ Lakes)
- An immersive educational experience at the Mall of America
*Participation in Analytics U does not guarantee admission to the University of Minnesota
2021 Program Dates & Schedule
August 9-13, 2021 (Monday-Friday, 9:00-4:00 pm)*
Students work as a group to solve a problem using data analysis and present at the end of the week. Proposed schedule:
- Analytics 101
- Strengths Finder Workshop
- Industry partners session (Target and Land O' Lakes)
- Campus tour
- Panel of analytics experts
- Immersive industry experience (Mall of America)
- Admission session and current student panel
- Group work time and mentor time
- Financial Literacy session with Junior Achievement
- Group presentations
*Please note: This week-long program is planning to be held in person at the Carlson School of Management on the University of Minnesota campus. If you're accepted into the program, campus protocols for COVID-19 safety will be shared prior to the start of the program.
Program Eligibility & How to Apply
- High school students who will be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior during the upcoming academic year.
- A demonstrated interest to learn about business and STEM.
- This program is for self-identified indigenous students and students of color.
How to apply
The Analytics U application process is completely online, please contact the program coordinator if you would like alternative accommodations. The online application includes:
- Applicant background and contact information
- One short essay
- Self-reported GPA
Admission to the program is determined by the strength of the overall applications. Items considered include: leadership activities, community engagement, short essays, GPA, and overall interest in the field of business and STEM.
Applications are now closed for 2021.
Application timeline for 2021 program
April 1, 2021
May 28, 2021
End of June 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. This week-long program is planning to be held in person at the Carlson School of Management on the University of Minnesota campus. If you're accepted into the program, campus protocols for COVID-19 safety will be shared prior to the start of the program.
Students are encouraged to use public transportation or personal transportation to get to campus. Transportation reimbursement is considered on a case-by-case basis.