Universität St. Gallen: St. Gallen
Fall semester: mid September to mid December
Spring semester: mid February to late May
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Library at St. Gallen
Application and Admissions
To apply, please visit the Apply page. You will be charged a $50 application fee for each term that you apply for a program. If you apply for two programs in Fall semester you will be charged $50. If you apply for one program in Fall semester and one in Spring semester you will be charged $100. The priority deadline for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 is February 1, 2015. Applications for programs that do not fill by the priority deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis until full. Applications will be reviewed and students will be informed of their status within 6 weeks of the priority deadline.
To be eligible for this education abroad program, you must be:
- A current student enrolled in a Carlson School Part-Time MBA or MA-HRIR program
- In good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Additional criteria may apply
- The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation
Recently ranked among the top European business schools by the Financial Times, the University of St. Gallen is driven to expand its global interconnectedness through continuous and systematic internationalization. The school is committed to instructing students in entrepreneurship, service, and adding value—a study experience rich in both theory and application. Every year the St. Gallen Symposium attracts 600 business executives and politicians who come to meet with St. Gallen students.
There is no on-campus housing available at the University of St. Gallen, but the housing office can assist you in finding accommodation. There are a variety of different housing options to suit your budget and preferences. You may also choose to arrange your own housing by researching the online housing market.
Cost estimate (Summary)
These may vary based on student preference and exchange rate. All details subject to change based on economic and international factors.
*Financial Aid may be applied to study abroad programs.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Most financial aid may be applied to study abroad. University of Minnesota students are eligible for education abroad scholarships. See Costs & Billing for additional information on financial aid and scholarships.
Academics and credits
Students in the program receive up to 14 S/N Carlson School International Business (IBUS 5300) credits for their semester at St. Gallen. These International Business credits will automatically count towards the total number of credits required for the Carlson degree. Students must enroll in a total of 28–30 ECTS credits to earn up to 14 Carslon School credits.
MBA and graduate students have 2 study options at the University of St. Gallen:
1. Students may enroll in the International Study Program, which is an interactive teaching model with students from around the world joining together for an intensive investigation of what it means to do business in Europe. The experience is reinforced by small class sizes and company visits to such firms as BMW in Munich, Novartis in Basel, and the European Free Trade Association court in Luxembourg.
2. Alternatively, students can choose to enroll directly in graduate courses in English.
St. Gallen offers dozens of classes in English each semester and a sample of past offerings includes:
- European Business Law
- European Corporate Governance
- European Culture
- European Union and Economic Policy
- International Trade and the WTO
- Leadership in European Companies
- Outdoor Training: Leadership and Team Competencies
- Strategic Management: A European Industry Perspective
- A one-week intensive German course is provided prior to each term
Estimated Expenses 2014-2105
Carlson School Tuition (charged to UMN student account)
UMN Per-credit rate (varies on credit load)
Transportation (to and from program site)
Documentation (passport, visa, immunization, additional health insurance)
Books and Materials
Room and/or Board
Essential Daily Living Expenses
$10150 + tuition costs