The Institute for Research in Marketing leverages the expertise of the Carlson School's world class marketing faculty and an advisory board of practitioners from leading corporations to foster rigorous and relevant research that improves the science and practice of marketing.
In the News
Are You Ready For Gen Z?
Generation Z has entered their 20's and members of Gen Z are your future workforce. On September 15th, generations expert David Stillman and his Gen Z son Jonah came to Carlson and shared insights on how to best work with this growing cohort.
If you try to treat Gen Z like the Millennials, it will backfire! In some ways, Gen Z more resembles the Baby Boomers. Shared workspace? No, Z’ers prefer an office. They also are willing to “pay their dues” and work their way into a new organization.
Based on three national studies, cutting-edge case studies and interviews with hundreds of CEOs, David and Jonah are shedding light on what makes this new generation unique and what leaders need to know. Learn more from David and Jonah!
Know the Stats:
Prefer communicating face-to-face with a boss
Believe technology is causing gaps with other generations
Would be interested in a situation in which they could have multiple roles within one place of employment
In a world where change is constant, managing a business and communication with valued customers can be challenging. Steve Goodyear, program director at the Institute for Research in Marketing, spoke with four Minnesota business leaders to find out what they’re focusing on in 2016. Read his article in the Star Tribune.
U of M Named No. 19 Best Business and Economics University in the World
U.S. News and World Report has named the University of Minnesota as the No. 19 Best Global University for Economics and Business. This ranking places the University in third place among public institutions. Additionally, the University was ranked the 29th Best Global University in general, having 21 disciplines making the global top 100.
Featured FacultyBarbara Loken
David C. McFarland Professor of Marketing
Dan Peterson is Director, Corporate Marketing Insight for Land O’Lakes, Inc., the second-largest cooperative in the nation with approximately 9,500 employees and sales of nearly $15 billion. Land O’Lakes is number 218 on the Fortune 500. Read MoreDan Peterson
- "Serving vegetables first: A strategy to increase vegetable consumption in elementary school cafeterias" by Associate Prof. Joseph Redden in Appetite
- "Understanding Value-Added-Resellers' Assortments of Multicomponent Systems" by Prof. George John, Journal of Marketing
- "Low Childhood Socioeconomic Status Promotes Eating in the Absence of Energy Need" by Prof. Vlad Griskevicius, Psychological Science
- "Secure Infant-Mother Attachment Buffers the Effect of Early-Life Stress on Age of Menarche" by Prof. Vlad Griskevicius, Psychological Science
Awards and Grants
- Chang Jiang Professorship Scholar by Ministry of Education of China- Assoc. Prof. Tony Haito Cui
- Carlson School of Marketing Outstanding Teacher Award- Sr. Lecturer, Seth Werner
- Journal of Consumer Research (JCR) Outstanding Reviewer Award- Prof. Deborah John
- Midwestern Psychological Association's (MPA) Presidential Speaker- Prof. Kathleen Vohs