Institute for Research in Marketing
The Institute for Research in Marketing leverages the expertise of the Carlson School's world class marketing faculty and an advisory board of practitioners from leading corporations to foster rigorous and relevant research that improves the science and practice of marketing.
In the News
U of M Named No. 19 Best Business and Economics University in the World
U.S. News and World Report has named the University of Minnesota as the No. 19 Best Global University for Economics and Business. This ranking places the University in third place among public institutions. Additionally, the University was ranked the 29th Best Global University in general, having 21 disciplines making the global top 100.
Wayne Mueller recently completed a five year commitment as Director of the Institute of Research in Marketing. During his tenure as Institute Director, he headed up a Board of Chief Marketing Officers that included Best Buy, Polaris, General Mills, Cargill, Target Corporation, G&K Services, Augeo Affinity Marketing, Ecolab, United Healthcare, The Schwan Food Company, and Wells Fargo. The mission of the Institute is to integrate Carlson's prolific marketing research academics with the practitioner world of marketing research in Corporate America. The past five years, these outstanding Corporate CMO Board members have invested nearly $1 M into our Carlson Department of Marketing Research.
James S. Henney
During a 25-year career in retail financial services, James S. Henney has held a series of marketing, product management and research management positions supporting a wide spectrum of businesses, including retail banking, mortgage, small business and wholesale banking.
"Serving vegetables first: A strategy to increase vegetable consumption in elementary school cafeterias," by Associate Prof. Joseph Redden in Appetite
"Cognitive adaptations to stressful environments: When childhood adversity enhances adult executive function," by Prof. Vlad Griskevicius, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
“Service Failure Recovery and Prevention: Managing Stockouts in Distribution Channels,” by Assoc. Prof. Tony Cui in Marketing Science
Awards and Grants
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher - Prof. Kathleen Vohs
- Early Career Award from the Association for Consumer Research - Assoc. Prof. Vladas Griskevicius
- Top 10 Reviewer Award for the Journal of Consumer Psychology - Prof. Deborah John
- Dean's Grant/Teaching Development Award - Sr. Lecturer Jay Lipe
- Outstanding Elective Faculty of the Year Award and the new MBA Excellence in Business Practice Award - Sr. Lecturer Seth Werner
- MSI Young Scholar Award - Asst. Prof. Maria Ana Vitorino and Asst. Prof. Alison Jing Xu
- Dean's Small Grand, Carlson School of Management - Asst. Prof. Linli Xu
- John D.C. Little Award for Best Marketing Paper Published in Marketing Science or Management Science - Asst. Prof. Yi Zhu