The application deadline for fall 2017 transfer admission is February 1, 2017.
The Carlson School of Management admits more than 250 transfer students each year for fall enrollment. Applicants include current students within the University of Minnesota, as well as students from other colleges and universities, including out-of-state and international students.
Prospective students are encouraged to pay special attention to the requirements listed below and to start preparing early. As a first step, prospective students are encouraged to attend a Transfer Admissions Information Session, which will include:
- An overview of the application process
- An opportunity to discuss questions one-on-one with an academic adviser and member of the Transfer Admissions Team.
For best consideration of transfer scholarship awards, applicants are encouraged to have a complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted by the transfer application deadline of February 1.
To be considered for admission, students must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 26 credits post-secondary credits completed or in-progress
- Minimum 3.0 collegiate GPA
- Prerequisite courses completed by the end of spring semester with a grade of C- or higher:
- Microeconomics (ECON 1101, 1104, or APEC 1101)
- Macroeconomics (ECON 1102, 1105, or APEC 1102)
- Calculus (MATH 1142 or 1271)
Though not required, junior-level applicants may complete the following courses prior to admission in order to enter the upper division business curriculum:
- Business Statistics (SCO 2550)
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 2050)
Students admitted at the junior-level are required to take BA 3000 Career Skills the summer prior to enrollment in the program.
In order for your application to be considered for admission, all application materials must be postmarked or submitted electronically by the application deadline at 11:59 p.m. on February 1, 2017.
- Complete the Carlson School Online Addendum.
- If you do not currently attend the U of M, you must create a guest account to access the addendum. Step-by-step instructions for creating a guest account are available. Students with an active U of M internet ID account should log-in to the addendum using that information.
- Send official test scores and transcripts from schools outside the U of M system directly to the U of M Office of Admissions:
- 240 Williamson Hall
231 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- 240 Williamson Hall
- Do not send transcripts to the Carlson School of Management.
Current University of Minnesota Students
- Submit an application to change your college, campus, or add an additional degree program.
Students Outside of the University of Minnesota
- Complete the U of M Transfer Application and all related steps. For questions, contact the U of M Office of Admissions.
- Do not send letters of recommendation to the Carlson School as they are not considered in review for admission.
- If you believe you have faced extenuating life circumstances that have impacted your academic performance, you are welcome to submit a separate letter of extenuating circumstances to email@example.com, with subject line: Letter of Extenuating Circumstances.
Coursework beyond the prerequisite requirements is reviewed for transfer after an admission decision is made. For your personal planning, below are helpful resources to determine which courses will likely transfer:
- Carlson School Transfer Guide
- Liberal Education Course Transfer Guide
- AP, IB, CLEP and the MN Transfer Curriculum
This is a signature experience of the Undergraduate Program. If admitted, the Immersion Core (I-Core) includes foundational courses in business taken together as a 12-credit cohort experience during one semester. Therefore, students should NOT complete the following courses prior to transfer:
- Finance Fundamentals (FINA 3001)
- Principles of Marketing (MKTG 3001)
- Operations Management (SCO 3001)
- Business Strategy (MGMT 3004)
Save the date! Admitted student must attend a mandatory one-day transfer orientation program:
|2017 Dates||Type of transfer student|
Wednesday, May 17th or Thursday, May 18th
|Current University of Minnesota students|
|TBD||Students outside of the University of Minnesota|
What majors/minors are offered at the Carlson School? What will my experience be like as a student in the Undergraduate Program?
When will I receive an admissions decision?
All admission decisions are sent no later than April 1. Please DO NOT contact us for a status update prior to this date.
Are there scholarship opportunities?
Upon admission to the Carlson School of Management, transfer students are automatically considered for scholarships. There are no separate applications or materials required. Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000 and are renewable for two years. Selection criteria can include academic achievements, extracurricular and leadership activities, place of residence, financial need and contribution to diversity. Applicants are encouraged to have a complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted by the transfer application deadline of February 1 for best consideration of scholarship awards.
What should I do if I need to register at my current school but have not yet received an admissions decision?
Plan registration as if you have not yet been admitted. Rest assured, seats are reserved in Carlson classes for all newly admitted transfer students. If admitted, you will register after orientation in the summer.
Is it okay to take prerequisite coursework the summer prior to admission?
Only coursework completed or in-progress as late as spring prior to admission will be considered. Coursework taken in the summer prior to admission will not be considered. The in-progress courses need to be listed on an official transcript.
Besides prerequisite courses, what else can I take prior to transfer?
Suggestions include: Fundamentals of Management (MGMT 3001), Introduction to or General Psychology (PSY 1001), plus Liberal Education requirements (aka “generals”). Also non-CSOM sections of MGMT 3033W, IDSC 3001, HRIR 3021, ACCT 3001 are available at the University. Please note that most business coursework from two-year institutions will not transfer to fulfill upper division (major) requirements at the Carlson School.
Am I eligible to apply if I already have a Bachelors degree?
Each situation is treated individually. However, the short answer is “No, if you already have a business-related degree.” Additionally, there may be residency or financial aid implications concerning a second Bachelors degree of the same type. You should consider certificate programs or graduate work as an alternative.
Should I complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) or an AA Degree prior to transfer?
The MNTC is helpful but not required. Completion will fulfill all liberal education core and themes. An AA degree is neither helpful nor hurtful in regards to admission. However, please note that most business coursework from two-year institutions will not transfer to fulfill upper division (major) requirements at the Carlson School.
Transfer Admissions Information Sessions
Attend a Transfer Admissions Information Session! This is the first-step for prospective students. All sessions include:
- An overview of the application process
An opportunity to discuss questions one-on-one with an academic adviser and member of the Transfer Admissions Team.
Advanced registration is recommended. You may view the schedule and register through EventBrite.
- Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you have attended an information session, you may visit drop-in advising for further questions:
- Fall and spring semesters are typically Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. (with exception to Wednesday mornings).
- Winter break and summer months have limited hours. Please call ahead (612-624-3313) for the schedule in a given week.
- There are no transfer appointments. The information sessions are the most effective way to accommodate your questions and specific situations.