The Carlson School is positioned in the heart of the thriving Minneapolis-St. Paul metro, a business community that includes 17 Fortune 500 company headquarters, and offers endless career opportunities, exceptional quality of life, and a vibrant social scene.
A Thriving Business Community
Seventeen Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in Minneapolis-St. Paul; more than any other metro its size. As a Carlson School's student, you'll leverage the School’s connection to a flourishing business community, located in your backyard. The Twin Cities is home to leading companies representing a wide variety of industries.
Minneapolis - St. Paul Quick Stats
- #1 Minnesota is the top state for business - CNBC
- 17 Fortune 500 Company Headquarters
- 7 of the largest private companies in the United States
- #4 Best City for Job Seekers - Nerd Wallet
- #4 Best City for Young Entrepreneurs - Nerd Wallet
- #3 Top City in the World for Attracting Recent Graduates - LinkedIn
- 5th Lowest unemployment rate in the United States
Vibrant Social Scene & Unmatched Quality of Life
The Minneapolis area is nationally acclaimed for its quality of life and abundance of entertainment offerings. You'll find everything you could want in city life. Enjoy world-class museums, professional sports teams, great food, fantastic music, and an abundance of green space. Minneapolis is truly a great place to live.
Watch: Minneapolis-St. Paul is one of only a few cities with five major league professional sports teams: the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, and United FC. No matter which team you’re cheering for, you’ll watch the game at a state-of-the-art stadium in Minneapolis. Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins, was ranked the No. 1 Best Sports Stadium in North America by ESPN Magazine.
Play: Join a community of active students at the University of Minnesota. Access a world-class recreation center, golf course, and dozens of intramural sports leagues. In addition to University leagues and facilities, the Minneapolis area boasts an array of rec centers and sports leagues.
Recreation & Outdoors
Green space amid city living: The outdoor amenities in the Minneapolis area that surround the Carlson School campus are unmatched.
- #1 Healthiest City in America - Forbes
- #1 Healthiest City in America - Livability
- More than 170 parks cover nearly 17 percent of the city
- 120 miles of bike trails make Minneapolis one of the most bike-friendly cities in the world
- Known as the land of 10,000 lakes, beaches, boating, and fishing are always nearby
Dining & Nightlife
The best-kept-secret in the Midwest, Minneapolis offers countless tasty destinations to eat and drink.
- #5 Best Food City in America - Time Magazine
- 19 taprooms located throughout Minneapolis brewing some of the best beer in the country
Arts & Culture
The Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, Guthrie Theater, First Avenue venue, and Minneapolis Institute of Arts are only a few of the many cultural icons in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
Moving to Minneapolis
The Minneapolis-St. Paul area is a magnet for young professionals. Join thousands of emerging professionals who enjoy affordable housing and accessible transportation, all in a booming city.
Housing: Where do Carlson School's students live?
- Living Near Campus: The Carlson School is surrounded by several distinct and welcoming neighborhoods. The majority of Carlson School's students choose to live off campus.
- Living On Campus: As one of the largest universities in the country, the University of Minnesota has plenty of on-campus housing options for students. Housing options range from residence halls to groups of students with similar academic or cultural interests living together in tight-knit Living Learning Communities. View Housing & Residential Life
- Living in Surrounding Areas: Some students choose to live in nearby cities outside of Minneapolis.
Transportation: How to get around
- Bike: The Carlson School is centered in one of the most bike-friendly cities in the nation. Pedal your own wheels or hop on a Nice Ride rental.
- Bus & Light Rail: Free Campus Connector shuttles will carry you everywhere on campus, while buses and light rail guide you swiftly around the Twin Cities. Public transit is the most inexpensive way of getting to the Carlson School campus. Students can purchase a deeply discounted metro-area transit pass that gives them 24/7 unlimited access to public buses and the light rail system.
- Drive to School: Drive to campus in park in one of the many lots around the Carlson School. Contract parking passes are also available to students each semester.
Explore More: Additional Resources
For more information on life in Minneapolis, including restaurants, sports, arts, nightlife, and outdoor activities, check out: