CHRLS Centerpoint March 2018
Committee members Kate Andrews, Corey Bonnema, Ian Charpentier, Brandon Lukach, Susan Otto, Kara Sime and I have been working hard since last fall to bring you another exceptional conference that will educate, stimulate, and accelerate your professional development.
Our superb slate of breakout session speakers will share their expertise related to this year's conference theme, "The Evolution of our Workforce."We always strive to provide a wide variety of breakout sessions that are current and important to us all, including HR technology risks and rewards, fueling employee engagement, practicing inclusive recruiting, supporting global business growth, utilizing HR analytics, using emotional intelligence, cultivating a workplace of civility and respect, and more. We'll have the chance to hear from two outstanding keynote speakers:
- Sesil Pir, Founder and Principal Consultant, SESIL PIR Consulting, speaking on "The DNA of 21st Century Leadership"
- Jennie Carlson , EVP and CHRO, US Bank, speaking on "Maximizing Employee Engagement"
Recent conferences have sold out well beforehand, so I encourage you to register soon. Alumni are eligible for a $55 discount; more registration information can be found here.
Hope to see you on April 20!
Tara Miller-Hochhalter, '10
HR Tomorrow Conference Committee Chair
HR Tomorrow Conference Registration Now Open!
The 39th Annual HR Tomorrow Conference, " The Evolution of Our Workforce," will be held on April 20 at the Carlson School of Management, and registration is now open! Read the full story here.
University of Minnesota Alumni Association Offers Free Webinars
The University of Minnesota Alumni Association (UMAA) offers a variety of virtual resources for career development and personal growth. Tune in to their Alumni Webinar Series, which features free conversations with experts on topics that matter to your career and personal life. Topics include Social Media Do's and Don'ts; Key Questions to Effective Team Building; How to Get Promoted; Side Hustles; and more. Read the full story here.
- Larry Morgan, '87 MA-IR, received a Lifetime Recognition Award from the Twin Cities Compensation Network at their 2017 annual meeting for his work in compensation and human resources.
- Zhen Zhang, '08 PhD-HRIR, has been selected as Associate Editor for the academic journal, Personnel Psychology.
Events Bring Alumni Together
A series of recent alumni networking events have provided opportunities for HRIR alums to connect with each other, get updates on the program, and enjoy great food and networking. Read the full story here, and if you would be interested in attending and/or hosting an alumni event in your area, please contact email@example.com.
Team of MA-HRIR Students Takes First Place in Case Competition
Congratulations to the team of Carlson School MA-HRIR students who recently took first place in the Ohio State Case Competition! Read the full story here.
Carlson School Ranked 3rd in Management Research
According to newly published Texas A&M/University of Georgia (TAMUGA) 2017 rankings, the Carlson School is tied for third place among all U.S. business schools in terms of management research productivity. Read the full story here.
The Center for Human Resources and Labor Studies welcomes two new staff members:
- Mindy Bahr joins the Center as Executive Office and Administrative Specialist, and comes to the CHRLS with more than eight years of experience through her work at Enterprise and Audi.
- Beth Bayley joins the Center as Administrative Associate and comes with more than four years of experience as Office Manager in the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Minnesota.
Read the full story here.
The Labor Education Services also welcomes two new staff members:
- Meron Negussie joins LES as Program Specialist, following two years working at the University of Minnesota's department of Biomedical Engineering as a Purchasing Coordinator.
- Filiberto Nolasco Gomez joins LES as the new Editor of Workday Minnesota after working with UNITE HERE Local 11, UAW 2865 and SEIU 284, and starting his own media company.
Read the full story here.
Each issue of Centerpoint will highlight a member of our faculty, our alumni community, and a current student. Learn more about alumnus Leo Cardoso, second-year MA-HRIR student Angela Gao, and Professor Connie Wanberg.
- Erika (Bledsoe) Berndt, '07, is head of HR at HTC Americas
- Heather Daniels Cariveau, '06, is SVP of global HR at AngioDynamics
- Jason Grosz, '06, is Vice President HR, global healthcare at Ecolab
- Anna Kyllonen, '03 is HR leader at Calyxt
- Sarah Merkle, '09, is HR manager at Amazon
- James Parker, '05 is VP of talent & organization development at Church & Dwight, Co.
- Yunyun Zheng, '15, is talent development officer at the Asia Pacific Hub of Air Liquide