When to Apply
Submitting your application by the deadline will ensure that you receive your paperwork from the University of Minnesota in time to apply for a student visa. You may apply before the deadline, but to do so you must be nominated by your home school coordinator.
- Fall and Academic Year application deadline: April 1
- Spring application deadline: September 1
Late applications will delay your acceptance to the program and important visa paperwork. If you cannot submit your application materials by the deadline, email email@example.com with an expected delivery date.
How to Apply
Get nominated to the Carlson School as an exchange students from your home school. We only accept nominations from our partner schools. Partner school coordinators nominate students by emailing the Carlson Global Institute with the name, gender, email address, term, level of study, and date of birth by the deadline.
Complete the University of Minnesota Application for International Exchange Admission (see above). All application documents (application form + supporting documents) should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org - no hard copy applications will be required.
- Do not apply online through the University's admissions page - use the application form above
- Do not submit an application fee
- Review all documents for name consistency
Submit an English language transcript from the school you currently attend or most recently attended.
Submit proof of English language proficiency in one of the following ways. Test scores must be valid:
- iBT TOEFL (Internet-Based test): Minimum score of 79 with minimum 21 on writing subscore
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic: Minimum overall score of 6.5 with minimum 6.5 on writing subscore
- PTE Academic (Pearson's Test of Academic English): Minimum overall score of 59 with a minimum of 59 on writing subscore
- Cambridge Assessment English (CAE) C1 Advanced: Minimum overall score of 180 with a minimum of 180 on writing subscore
Alternate Test Options due to COVID-19: the following be accepted for Fall 2023:
- IELTS Indicator: minimum score of 6.5 with minimum 6.5 on writing subscore
- Duolingo: Minimum score of 120 with a minimum120 on literacy subscore
The University of Minnesota does not consider MyBest Scores: Sum of Highest Section Scores of the TOEFL iBT Score Report to meet the minimum total score requirement for admission.
We waive this requirement for most native English speakers.
Submit a copy of the picture and information page of your passport. Your passport must be valid at all times while you are in the U.S.. Anytime you want to obtain a U.S. visa or enter the U.S. from abroad, you must have a passport that will be valid for at least six months into the future. If your passport will expire within six months, you will need to renew it in your home country before traveling to the U.S..