Design Thinking: Unleash Organizational Potential
Design thinking is a human-centered approach to problem-solving that helps people and organizations become more innovative and more creative. Design thinking course participants will learn how to innovate and strengthen existing business strategies using the design thinking methodology.
About This Program
Developing a culture of innovation helps organizations solve complex problems--even in industries that aren't traditionally seen as innovative. Learn to unleash the creativity and innovation that drive results by using design thinking. When design thinking becomes part of strategy, it can result in real competitive advantages. Design-led companies such as Apple, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble, and SAP have outperformed the S&P 500 by an extraordinary 211%. In this design thinking course, participants will learn how to use design thinking to fuel their own organization's productivity and growth.
The course kicks off with a hands-on learning experience from the creative outreach division of Brave New Workshop. Participants will practice a series of activities derived from the world of improvisation which will help them learn fundamental behaviors and attitudes that fuel innovation. The exercises focus on The Big 5: listening, deferring judgment, reframing, declaring and jumping in. This custom experience is appropriate for business audiences and based the Brave New Workshop team's 20 years of experience partnering with Fortune 500 companies.
Coursework then pivots to an in-depth session on design thinking and strategy. Participants will benefit from the Carlson School faculty’s expertise in business strategy as they pick up tools and templates with which they can approach their own organizational challenges.
Design thinking course participants will spend their second day gaining the perspective of an industry expert who helps lead organizations through innovation initiatives. Kristin Pardue, CEO of Rêve Consulting will walk participants through a design thinking boot camp to practice design thinking methodology to help them solve the real organizational challenges they're facing. The program includes a panel discussion and Q&A with business executives who are working through business challenges and experiencing success with the design thinking approach. At the conclusion of the course, participants will develop an organization-specific action plan to apply what they've learned.
This program is valid for 12 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
- Mid-level leaders with P&L or significant functional responsibility
- Senior leaders, VPs, directors, and executives
- Understand design thinking key concepts and processes
- Apply customer-focused innovation concepts to everyday work and leadership challenges
- Practice solving business problems by applying a design thinking approach
- Increase self-awareness to confidently approach the risks associated with innovation
- Help colleagues and stakeholders understand and value innovation and how it links to strategy
- Reflect on the experiences of panelists from the business community who have applied and scaled design thinking within their organizations
Additional Course Details
Cultivating an Innovation Culture
Leadership Action Plan