News & Events
CFA Society Minnesota would like to invite your university to participate in the 2019-2020 season of the CFA Institute Research Challenge.
The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis.
The Local Challenge spans September 2019 – February 2020 and consists of the following components:
- Analysis of a Public Company
- Mentoring by a Professional Research Analyst
- Writing an Equity Research Report
- Presentation of Research to a High-Profile Panel of Experts (by teams with the top scoring papers)
How does it work?
- Universities form 1-2 teams of 3-5 members each
- CFA Charterholders and students who have extensive prior work experience in fundamental company analysis are not eligible.
- Past Research Challenge participants are not eligible
- Both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible
- Students must be enrolled in the current term at the university at the time of the local Kickoff Meeting
- All teams must be finalized by Monday, September 23 in order to attend the virtual Kickoff Meeting on Wednesday, September 25. Please send me the names and emails of the students who are participating in this year’s challenge ASAP.
Subject Company Announcement – this year’s subject company will be announced at our virtual kick-off meeting on September 25.
The first ever CFA Institute Research Challenge competition was hosted by the New York Society of Security Analysts in 2002 and involved just five teams from the New York area. Since then, the competition has grown to involve 3,500 volunteers, 140 member societies, 5,000+ students and 1,000+ universities.
Below are links to useful information from CFA Institute related to preparation and best practices. We hope that your university will take this opportunity to participate in this worthwhile initiative.
CFA Institute Research Challenge Reference Links:
Please feel free to reach out to Amanda Sullivan (612) 317-2889 with any questions or concerns you have.
Thursday, October 3rd, 2019
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Come and hear the Enterprise directors talk about the various learning and experience that they offer. A light lunch is provided.
Friday, November 8th, 2019
New York Hilton Midtown,
1335 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019
The headlines and studies are pervasive on the gap in women in PE & VC and the value to diversity. The WAVE forum will provide a unified platform leveraging support from affiliated industry groups, to help encourage women to lean into and persist with the business. The forum will also efficiently help employers begin to solve the continued issue on finding qualified female candidates across all levels of our industry.
Purpose: Providing access to women and employers across the broad continuum of careers in PE & VC
50% professionals; 30% MBA students;
20% Undergraduate students
Contact Danielle Fraser, WAVE Coordinator