University of Leeds: LeedsGraduate Global Immersion in the United Kingdom
The academic calendar at Leeds will differ from the University of Minnesota and all exchange students are expected to be at their host campus on the first day of orientation and through the last day of final exams.
|Semester 1 (Fall 2019)||Semester 2 (Spring 2020)|
|Recommended date of arrival: Week 3 of September||Recommended date of arrival: Thursday before teaching starts|
|Orientation Sessions: Week 3 and 4 of September||Orientation Sessions: Thursday to Saturday before teaching starts|
|Start of Teaching: Week 1 of October||Start of Teaching: Late January|
|Teaching Ends: Week 2 of December||Teaching Ends: Week 1 of May|
|*Examinations Period: Week 3 and 4 of January||Examinations Period: Mid-May to early June|
*Exchange students have the option to take exams from Semester 1 back in Minnesota
- Successful exchange students demonstrate a high degree of independence, adaptability, and flexibility because support and services will be different from a US university
- You are enrolled as an exchange student at a host university and take business courses in English
- You take courses with students from the host university as well as other exchange students from around the world
- You attend the host university according to their term dates which differ from the University of Minnesota
- A small group of Carlson students are selected to study at each partner university per semester and are fully immersed in another country, culture, and education system
- You will work closely with both Carlson School advisers and advisers from the host university for support pre-departure and during your semester abroad
What is a Business Exchange Program?
- In the last national research review, 23 of the school's departments were rated nationally as being in the top ten in that subject area.
- England is the largest economy in the United Kingdom, and one of the financial centers of the world. The Univeristy of Leeds, located in West Yorkshire, is a single campus just a ten minutes' walk from the bustling city centre. It is an eclectic mix of the old and the new reflecting its 100 year history. Leeds is renowned for its shopping, arts, sport, leisure, entertainment and nightlife. The campus is surrounded by beautiful, accessible countryside, with cultural and historical places of interest nearby.
- The Carlson Global Institute strongly encourages students to live in the on-campus housing options as those are affiliated with and vetted by the partner institutions.
- Students should check the host university website and fact sheet for specific accommodations information including on-campus and off-campus options, application process and deadline, and cost information.
- No host country language skills required
- Preference is given to Carlson School of Management students
- Preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
- Additional criteria may apply
- The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation
- Visa and Passport
- All Carlson students are responsible for obtaining a passport before they participate on a study abroad program
- All students participating on an exchange program will be responsible for obtaining a visa or residence permit if required by their host country. The Carlson Global Institute does not process visa applications for students participating on exchange programs
- The Carlson Global Institute and the host university will provide resources for visa and residence permit applications if necessary, but students will need to work with the consulate and/or visa processing company directly as well
- Visa and passport requirements are always subject to change by the host country and students are expected to check with the consulate for up-to-date information
To apply for an exchange program you must first apply through the Carlson Global Institute on the Apply page. You will be charged a $50 application fee for each term that you apply for a program. If you apply for two programs in Fall semester you will be charged $50. If you apply for one program in Fall semester and one in Spring semester you will be charged $100. The priority deadline for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 is February 1, 2020. Applications will open on the first day of the Fall 2019 semester. Applications for programs that do not fill by the priority deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis until full. Applications will be reviewed and students will be informed of their status within 6 weeks of the priority deadline. Once accepted into an exchange program, you will also complete an application to the host university.
Most financial aid may be applied to study abroad. University of Minnesota students are eligible for education abroad scholarships.
Cost Estimate (Summary)
Expenses are based on a 5 month semester. These estimates will vary based on student preference and exchange rates. All details subject to change based on economic and international factors. Most financial aid may be applied to study abroad programs. Students should also maintain their U.S.-based health insurance plan while abroad. Visa and passport costs are subject to change. Please verify current documentation costs with the host country consulate. The Program Fee includes program administration costs, maintaining student status at the UMN for the exchange semester, and international travel, health and security insurance.
Carlson School tuition costs based on rates for MN residents registered for 13+ credits.
|Estimated Expenses 2019-2020|
|Carlson School Tuition (charged to UMN student account)||UMN Per-credit rate (varies by credit load and UMN degree program)|
|Airfare (to and from program site)||$1,200|
|Documentation (passport, visa, immunization)||$625|
|Books and Materials||$200|
|Accommodations & Meals||$5,000|
|Essential Daily Living Expenses||$2,000|
|Total||$9,525 + tuition costs|