With a robust alumni network and connections to top tax firms and corporations, the Master of Business Taxation (MBT) Program expands students’ professional prospects—whether they’re looking to advance with their current employer or pursue new possibilities.
Taxation is one of the fastest-growing areas within both accounting firms and the larger business community, and the MBT Program provides students with the credentials to fill that demand.
The Master of Business Taxation (MBT) program at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management has been a cornerstone of graduate tax education for over 30 years, thanks to founder Fred Jacobs, adjunct faculty, alumni, students, and friends. Current MBT Director Paul Gutterman has been an anchor in providing teaching excellence to the program.
- Over 1,000 alumni and students from 28 states and a dozen foreign countries
- MBT graduates hold the No. 2 positions at two of the Big Four accounting firms (Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, and KPMG)
- 12 alumni have become tax and accounting professors
- One graduate is a state senator
- 18 graduates and students work for the Internal Revenue Service
- Many others hold top positions as senior corporate tax executives and managing tax partners
Twin Cities Companies Recruit Our Graduates
Twenty-two of the top 25 public companies in the Twin Cities employ MBT graduates and students in their corporate tax departments. Of Minnesota’s top 25 CPA firms, 24 employ MBT graduates and students in their tax departments.