Applicants must complete and submit an online application for the Master of Applied Business Analytics program. The system allows applicants to save their work and return to it at any time. Supporting materials and the application fee are submitted through the online application system.
- An account and password are required to start the online application.
- Select the appropriate entry term and intended program
- Read the instructions below carefully before completing your application.
- When you have provided everything required to submit your application, the application will allow you to submit. The application is not complete until the recommendations are submitted and we have received your official test scores. Applications must be complete before the deadline for which you would like to be considered.
- You will be receiving application update emails from email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, please add these emails to your contact list or safe list so that they are not caught in your spam filter.
Completion of Math Course
Completion of at least one semester of a college-level Math course (e.g. Calculus, Linear Algebra) is required at the time of application. Upload a course description or syllabus in the first upload on the "Carlson Masters Programs requirements" page of the application for the course that satisfies this requirement.
Applicants who have not yet completed a Math course should not submit an application to the program until they have completed the course and received a final grade.
Demonstrated Computer Programming Competency
Demonstrated competency in computer programming is required. The following programming languages satisfy the requirement: Python, R, C, C++, C#, VB, Java, PHP, Pascal, and Fortran. Competency is required in only one of these languages. Competency may be demonstrated in one of three ways:
- Academic Coursework - University class on transcript showing formal education in and successful completion of programming coursework as an undergraduate or graduate. Upload a course description or syllabus which includes the name of the programming language learned. This course must appear on your transcript (uploaded in the Educational Background section of this application.) Do not re-upload your transcript on the "Carlson Masters Programs requirements" page of the application; this upload must be a course description or syllabus indicating the language learned in your programming class.
- Professional Experience - Resume indicating specific projects, assignments, or responsibilities with clear details of how computer programming was utilized in a professional, full-time work capacity. Simply listing the programming language you know is not sufficient. You must have bullet points indicating which programming language you use and how you use the programming language to complete your professional work.
- Completion of Online Course - Certificate of completion of online coursework in computer programming. Please upload a certificate of completion on the "Carlson Masters Programs requirements" page of the application. If the certificate title does not include the programming language used, please include a course description or syllabus with the upload indicating programming language taught. Make sure the course you select is at least 20 hours in duration and provides a verifiable certificate of completion which you will upload and submit with your online application.
Applicants who have not yet satisfied the computer programming requirement should not submit an application to the program until they can demonstrate competency in one of the three ways listed above.
Applicant Statement (updated for Summer 2021 admission)
To be considered for admission to the program, please submit essay responses to the questions detailed below (approximately 2 pages maximum). The admissions committee will review both the content of your responses and your ability to communicate clearly in writing:
- Why are you interested in studying at the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota? What draws you to the Carlson School's MABA program specifically? (approximately 200 words)
- Briefly discuss your short- and long-term career goals. How will completing an Master of Applied Business Analytics program at this time help you toward achieving your goals? (approximately 275 words)
- An aptitude for technical and quantitative work is necessary for success in the MABA program. Please provide a specific example(s) from your past academic project, internship, or professional experience where you used a technical/quantitative tool or method to solve a problem. Please provide details describing the problem/situation, the actions you took, and the results of your actions. (approximately 275 words)
To be considered for admission, the Master of Applied Business Analytics program requires a first university degree that is an equivalent to a 4-year U.S. bachelor's degree. Students with a 3-year degree from India do not satisfy this minimum requirement and must complete an additional year of post-baccalaureate study before submitting an application to the program. If a student is unsure whether their degree is an equivalent to a 4-year U.S. bachelor’s degree they should email their transcripts and proof of degree to the Office of Graduate Admissions for review. Their email is email@example.com.
Unofficial transcripts can be submitted through the online application. You will need to submit a transcript from each college or university where you have completed coursework before your application will be considered complete and reviewed by the admissions committee. Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an English translation. If you have previously enrolled at any University of Minnesota campus, you can obtain electronic copies of your transcripts from OneStop student services. For more information regarding transcripts/academic credentials you need to apply please review these details.
If admitted, you must submit official transcripts or academic records prior to your enrollment at the University of Minnesota. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions Office from the institution. An official, certified (signature and seal) English translation must accompany non-English transcripts. The University of Minnesota reserves the right to require the submission of official transcripts or credentials any time during the admission review process.
The GMAT or GRE General Test is required for admission to the Master of Applied Business Analytics program and should be less than five years old at the time of application. The unofficial test scores should be entered directly into the online application. Official test scores should be received before the deadline for which you would like to be considered.
For GMAT, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report to code D2N-VJ-05, Carlson Master of Applied Business Analytics. Results arrive 2-3 weeks after the test. For GRE, arrange for the testing service to send an official score report using institution code 6874, U of MN graduate school. Results take up to 8 weeks to arrive.
*WAIVER Eligibility for an Academic Test (GMAT/GRE)
Applicants to the Master of Applied Business Analytics (MABA) program at the Carlson School of Management are required to supply GMAT/GRE scores as part of their application. Under certain circumstances, an applicant may petition to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. Specifically, a waiver of the GMAT/GRE exam may be considered for applicants who satisfy the following requirements:
- A minimum of three years of full-time work experience in business analytics or related field (i.e. a field involving technical or quantitative experience. Internships will not be considered as part of the work experience requirement.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
To apply for the waiver, please create an application for the program. Once the application is created, go to the Admissions Test Score Information section and select "Request a Waiver" from the dropdown menu. From there, upload or complete the required fields for waiver consideration.
Waivers are based on cumulative GPA, grade trends and type of coursework completed, as well as rank/quality of academic institution. Waivers are never guaranteed and they are evaluated on a case by case basis. The decision to grant a GMAT/GRE waiver rests with the Carlson School’s Master of Applied Business Analytics program. This waiver request should be submitted per the policy instructions before application submission.
Please direct all questions about the MABA Academic Test Waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare a current resume that includes a detailed education and employment history in no more than 4 pages.
- List both employer and official position held.
- Specify both month and year for dates of employment in each role.
- Detail job responsibilities and accomplishments in approximately 3-5 bullet points.
Upload your completed resume in the online application where prompted for Resume or CV.
We require two recommendations for application to the Master of Applied Business Analytics (MABA) program. These recommendations can be from any combination of professional and academic recommenders, though we strongly prefer that at least one recommendation come from a supervisor or current employer.
Please note that you do not need to solicit letters of recommendation from your recommenders. We partner with GMAC for the Common Letter of Recommendation, so you simply need to provide contact information for your recommenders and the form will be automatically routed to them via email for completion. The form does include an optional section to attach a letter of recommendation if your recommender chooses to add that component.
We recommend getting started on your application early so you can enter the recommender contact information right away before continuing to work on your application. Both recommenders must complete the aforementioned GMAC form before your submitted application is considered complete. This means all recommendations must be received before the deadline for which you would like to be considered.
Proof of English Language Proficiency is required of all applicants and must be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completed at least the last two years of a bachelor's degree or one year of graduate school (full-time) in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Africa, or the English-speaking Caribbean and will provide official transcripts.
- Completed education solely in English in a country where English is not the official language and will provide documented proof (ex. India).
- Will provide the official results of an English language test taken within the last two years (additional details below).
You must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic if you do not meet one of the other requirements. We accept scores from any of these exams, it is not necessary to take more than one. Scores must be less than two years old when you apply.
You are not exempt if you have lived in an English-speaking country for several years but have not completed any prior education in English.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering an additional English language proficiency testing option for 2021 only. To support applicants unable to take in-person tests, the Duolingo English Test (DET) is available for Fall 2021 admission. Typically competitive candidates have scores within the range of 110-120+. Please send your test score results directly to email@example.com. Visit the Duolingo preparing for the exam, scheduling the exam, and FAQs sites for more information.
Typically competitive candidates have scores within the following ranges:
90-105 internet-based TOEFL
600-650 paper-based TOEFL
We must receive an official score report directly from the testing service. The code for the Carlson School is 6874; the department code is 02.
To be considered for admission, we require a minimum overall band score of 7.0, with no section lower than 6.5.
IELTS test scores are verified using the Test Report Form (TRF) number. You may upload a scanned copy of your IELTS Test Report Form in your application or email the score report to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not request to have the report sent directly to the University of Minnesota Carlson School as we cannot receive mail at this time. Score reports will be accepted via email from applicants or the testing agency.
To be considered for admission, we require a minimum score of 65 on the PTE Academic. We must receive an official score report from Pearson. When you take the exam, please specify that you wish to have an official score report sent to the Carlson School of Management. Our program code is JP3-5T-48.
The application fee is $75 (non-refundable) for U.S. citizens, international applications, and U.S. residents with foreign credentials. Your application fee will be waived if you have served in the US Armed Forces for any length of time prior to submitting an application.
- The video essay is a required component of the application that provides candidates with an opportunity to show the admissions committee the authentic you. Think of this video essay as if you were answering an interview question with a member of our admissions committee.
- You will need to use a computer with camera and microphone capabilities. You will have the ability to test your technology before starting the video essay and submit a practice video essay.
- You can test your technology and run the practice simulation as many times as you wish to be comfortable with the format and technology. You will be able to review your practice video essay(s) and your recording(s) will not be saved beyond the testing phase and will never be reviewed.
- You can also practice responding to impromptu questions offline with a friend or colleague before completing the video essay portion of your application.
- You will be prompted to click "Ready" once you are prepared to submit an official video essay. You will be asked one impromptu question from a bank of imaginative or behavioral questions selected by our admissions team.
- Two minutes (120 seconds) will be provided to prepare an answer and two minutes (120 seconds) to record an answer. Recording will automatically stop after two minutes. You are not required to use the full two minutes. If you have time remaining once complete with your response, click the "Stop Recording" button to end the recording.
- You will only be provided one attempt to record your official video essay.
Admission interviews are by invitation only. Not all applicants will be interviewed. Interviews may be conducted on campus or via Skype. The interview is approximately 30 minutes in length and aimed at better understanding a candidate’s academic and professional background. You should treat the interview as you would a job interview. Appropriate attire is business professional.