Taxation certificates are associated with the Master of Business Taxation (MBT) Program which is a rigorous, challenging, and rewarding experience that will deepen your understanding of the field of taxation and illuminate new professional paths.
We look for applicants who have strong academic backgrounds and a commitment to improving their professional communities. Applicants should have a strong familiarity with the fundamentals of business management.
Candidates must have:
- An undergraduate degree (in any field)
- Completed ACCT 2050 Introduction to Financial Reporting and ACCT 5135 Fundamentals of Federal Income Tax (or their equivalents)*
*We consider and conditionally admit applicants before they have taken these courses, but they must complete them with a C or better before enrolling in MBT courses or certificates.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language, you must submit scores from the one of the following tests. Scores must be less than 2 years old when you apply.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System exam (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
You do not need to take an English test if:
You have completed your previous education solely in English in a country where English is not an official language. Your transcript must indicate that English was the language of instruction, or you must provide a statement from the university indicating that English was the sole language of instruction in order to be exempt from the testing requirement.
- You have completed the last 2 years of a bachelor's degree or 1 year of a graduate school (full-time) in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.
You are not exempt if you have lived in an English-speaking country for several years, unless you meet one of the above requirements.
TOEFL scores must be sent to institution code 6874 (U OF MINNESOTA MNNPLS).
IELTS scores may be sent to us by completing a Test Report Form indicating us as a receiving organization:
Carlson MBA & MS Admissions
321 19th Avenue South, Room 1-110
Minneapolis, MN 55455
PTE Academic scores may be sent to the Carlson School MBA Programs office using program code JP3-5T-48.
The following factors are considered when looking at applications:
- Academic record
- Test scores (GMAT or LSAT), required unless candidates meet waiver qualifications
- Relevant work experience in the tax field
- CPA certification
- Fall start: June 15
- Spring start: October 15
- Summer start: March 15
We will accept applications after the deadline if space is available.
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. All applicants will receive an admissions decision via email. The process can take four to six weeks.