Business Innovation Academy
Business Innovation Academy is a two-week, interactive, and hands-on summer program for rising 7th- and 8th-graders. The Carlson School is proud to collaborate with Equity Alliance MN to ignite students’ passion for learning and to provide opportunities to explore higher education and careers in business. The purpose of this summer program is to boost students’ personal awareness and self-confidence, as well as improve problem solving and soft skills.
2020 Program Dates
There are three sections held over two-week periods throughout the summer. Students admitted to the program are expected to attend the entirety of the two-week scheduled section.
- July 6-17, 2020 — Section 1
- July 20-31, 2020 — Section 2
- August 3-14, 2020 — Section 3
- Middle school students who will be entering 7th or 8th grade in the 2020-2021 academic year
- A demonstrated interest to learn about business
- This program is for self-identified indigenous students, students of color, first-generation students, immigrant students, and/or free-and-reduced lunch students
- Experience business first-hand through company site visits and a team project solving a real-world business problem
- Exposure to higher education opportunities and career opportunities
- Develop students’ leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
Schedule at a Glance
See what an example of the programming looks like for a two-week section.
|Monday||Welcome||What is Business?||Team Building||Values & Norms: Setting Expectations|
|Tuesday||Look into Self-Confidence and How to Build it||Cooperation & Problem Solving Skill Development||Campus Tour & Scavenger Hunt||The Leader in Me|
|Wednesday||Cooperation & Problem Solving||Everyone Can Be a Leader||Growth Mindsets||Happiness Introduction & Documentary|
|Thursday||Why Happiness?||Guidelines to Happiness Project||Happiness Group Work||Happiness = Success|
|Friday||Create Happiness Presentations||Happiness Presentations||Field Trip: Raptor Center|
|Monday||Welcome Back||Team Building||Career Prep||Introduction to Case|
|Tuesday||Introduction to Finance||Case Basics||Case Prep||Site Visit|
|Wednesday||Leadership Workshop||Case Prep||Presentation Skills Class||Case Prep|
|Thursday||Introduction to Marketing||Case Prep||Site Visit|
|Friday||Case & Final Presentation Prep||Final Presentations||Celebration Banquet||Goldy's Gameroom|
How to Apply
Equity Alliance MN manages the application process. For applications, questions, or accommodations, please reach out to Janine Stammler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a BIA program partner
Some examples of past program partners that have hosted site visits or participated in the case study projects:
- Medical Industry Leadership Institute (MILI)
- U.S. Bank
- Best Buy
- Land O'Lakes
Inspire the next generation of your business leaders and talent
The success of this program lies in the engagement from local businesses and business owners to provide a small amount of time and experience. By offering either a chance for a site visit or participating in our case study project, you can open the door to future business careers for these students. Past participants have consistently ranked site visits and the case study presentations as their most enjoyable and impactful experiences as part of the program.
Number of students in the 2019 program
Identified as girls
Identified as boys
Students of color