Economics Univ. of Michigan
Business Policy and Executive Development Harvard Univ.
Implementing strategic change
Helping New Social Ventures grow and succeed
- University of Michigan, AB in Economics
- Harvard Business School, MBA, DBA
Previous Education Positions
- Served successively as Research Assistant, Lecturer on Economics and Lecturer in Business Administration at Harvard Business School
- Carlson School of Management - Faculty member 1965-2005
- Founded and directed the Executive Development Center andtheMinnesota Executive Program
- Director of Bush Educators Program -- a two-year course for Minnesota educational leaders
- Visiting Scholar -- Stanford University School of Education, winter 1990.
- Visiting Professor – North European Management Institute, 1975-6
Current Research Interests
- The Design and Delivery of Leadership Development Programs
- Evaluation of nonprofit organizations attempting to improve society
- Worked as IBM Data Processing Representative designing, selling, and installing Management Information and Control Systems, 1957-1959.
- H.B. Fuller Company, 1968-2004 (A Fortune "1000" Industrial Company)Other smaller corporate boards
- Independent School District 275, Golden Valley, Minnesota, 1977-1980
- Mercy Missionaries (chairperson), 1984-present (Northside Minneapolis)
- Friends of the University of Minnesota Library, 2004-2008
- Northside Achievement Zone2010-
- Social VenturePartners Minnesota 2008-
- Korean War Veteran --U.S. Navy Supply Officer, 1953-1956
- Listed in "Who's Who in Midwest" and "Who's Who in Finance and Industry"
- "Cooperation and Collaboration: Reality or Rhetoric"International Journal ofLeadership in Education, accepted for publication in 2004 – with Roger Jenni
- "What Is Your Company's Audit Culture?"The Corporate Board, Vol23 # 137 (Nov./Dec 2002)
- "A Framework for Linking Culture and Improvement Initiatives in Organizations" Academy of Management Review, October 2000, (with Detert and Schroeder)
- Quality Management in U.S. High Schools: Evidence from the Field" Journal of School Leadership, March(2000) with Detert, Kopel and Jenni
- "An Instrument for Measuring Quality Practices in Education" Quality Management Journal 2000 (with Detert, Kopel and Jenni)
- "School-Based Management: Doomed to Failure?" Education and Urban Society, August 1989, with Karin Lindquist
- "Evaluation and Control of Overseas Operations," Management Accounting, May 1969
- "Misevaluation of Investment Center Performance," Harvard Business Review, March-April, 1966
- Over twenty five Cases Published by Intercollegiate Case Clearinghouse, Cases in Public Policy and in text books.
- The Logic of Strategy [with D. Gilbert, RE Freeman, E. Hartman] (Ballinger, 1988).
- Strategic Leadership for Schools (Jossey-Bass, 1989).
- Teacher's Guide for Management Accounting: Text and Cases, third edition (with Robert N. Anthony, Richard D. Irwin 1964
- "Depth versus Breadth in Innovation Implementation" [with Karin Lindquist] in Research on the Management of Innovation, Van de Ven et al. (Eds.) Cambridge, MA.Harper & Row, 1989.
- "Computer Assisted Planning Models: A Functional Analysis," with G.W. Dickson and J.C. Anderson, in Corporate Simulation Models, edited by Albert N. Schreiber, University of Washington, 1970.
An Instrument for Measuring Quality Practices in Education Quality Management Journal 2000 with J. Detert, Kopel and Jenni (forthcoming)
Strategic Leadership for Local School Districts, Jossey-Bass, 1989
School-Based Management: Doomed to Failure?, Educational and Urban Society, 1989
Depth and Breadth in Innovation Implementation: The Case of School-Based Management, Research on the Management of Innovation, A. Van de Ven, H. Angle and M. Poole (eds.), Ballinger Publishing Co., 1988
The Logic of Strategy, Ballinger Publishing Co., 1988
A Framework for Linking Culture and Improvement Initiatives in Organizations, with J. Detert and R. Schroeder, Academy of Management Review, October 2000
Cooperation and Collaboration: Reality or Rhetoric? International Journal of Leadership in Education, April-June 2004.
Paarish Council - Past Chair and current member
Member of Finance Council - Church of St Patrick
Chairperson of the board, Mercy Missionaries
Rotary Community Service Committee, Ambassadorial Scholarship Committee
Board Member, Academy of North Minneapolis, Public Charter School
Partner - Social Venture Partners, Minnesota
Grants Committee - Catholic Community Foundation