Important Application Documents:
Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 applications will be available in March 2017.
How to Apply: Application Instructions
1. Nomination: Get nominated to the Carlson School as an exchange students from your home school. We only accept nominations from our partner schools. Partner school coordinators nominate students by emailing the Carlson Global Institute with the name, gender, email address, term, level of study, and date of birth by the deadline.
2. Application Form: Complete the University of Minnesota Application for International Exchange Admission (see above). All application documents (application form + supporting documents) should be submitted electronically - no hard copy applications will be required.
- Be sure to complete the "Financial Certification Statement" section on page 4
- Do not apply online through the University's admissions page - use the application form attached above
- Do not submit an application fee
- Review all documents for name consistency
3. Proof of Financial Support: In addition to completing the Financial Certification Statement, you must provide proof of funding for your semester abroad. The documentation must match the amount of funding you indicate in the "Sources of Funding" section of the form. For 2016-2017 you must provide documentation of at least:
- $8,300 (Fall or Spring)
- $16,600 (Academic Year)
Examples include student's bank statements, a letter from your bank stating you have sufficient funds, a letter from the student's parents/guardians with either their bank statement or a letter from their bank stating they have an excess of the dollar amount required, or a letter from a government agency or organization.
4. Transcript: Submit an English language transcript from the school you currently attend or most recently attended.
5. Resume or CV: Submit a current English language resume or CV.
6. English Language Proficiency: Submit proof of English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Minimum overall iBT TOEFL (Internet-based test) score of 79 with minimum 21 on writing section
- Minimum TOEFL scores of 550 written or 213 CBT
- Minimum MELAB score of 80 with a minimum 80 on writing section
- Minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 with minimum 6.5 on writing section
- If you do not have test scores, submit a letter from your exchange coordinator stating that your English proficiency is adequate to succeed in advanced university-level business classes.
- We waive this requirement for native English speakers.
7. Passport Photocopy: Submit a photocopy of the picture and information page of your passport.
8. Submit Your Application: When your application is complete you must send the application form and all supporting documents elenctronically and submit by email to email@example.com. Please use the subject line, "(your name) Application Materials". See the "dates and deadlines" section of the website for application deadlines.