About the Labs
- General Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lab reservations: email@example.com
- Subject Pool questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Behavioral Labs are used by researchers who have reserved them in advance. The labs can be reserved for any available time slot during public building hours. Information about Carlson School public building hours can be found here. Access to the Carlson School building is restricted after 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends. Only those with UCard access may enter the building during these times. Receptionist coverage for the 3rd and 4th floor security doors is 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Outside these hours you will need to monitor hall doors to assure access for all subjects.
- The Lab Manager's hours are 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.
How to reserve the labs
- Please read the Behavioral Labs Guidelines and Procedures before making a reservation.
- If your research includes subject pool use, please email your IRB approval letter, submission and any updates to the Behavioral Labs manager prior to completing the reservation form. More information on the IRB can also be found on our website under the Researchers/IRB Information tabs.
- To schedule a lab space, check the Labs Calendar for available time slots and complete the Reservation Request Form.
- Please allow for set up and close out times in your reservation requests.
- Once your reservation has been confirmed, please bring your UCard to the Lab Manager in Room 3-358 to request security clearance before you can access the lab or bring it to lab training.
- This lab has five private rooms, four with capacities for 1 participant, one conference room with capacity for 6, and a central computer station accommodating 4 individuals. This secure facility provides eight computers equipped with research software. Reserving this facility also gives you access to a small waiting room across the hall (room 3-113) with a capacity for 12 participants.
- Behavioral Lab I Layout (35.74 KB)
- 3-113 Waiting Room Layout (89.42 KB)
|3-114A||One computer and chair, privacy door||1|
|3-114B||One conference table, 6 chairs, privacy door||6|
|3-114C||One computer and chair, privacy door||1|
|3-114D||One computer and chair, privacy door||1|
|3-114E||One computer and chair, privacy door||1|
|3-114 Central Computer Station||4 private workstations||4|
- This lab has two separate rooms for research, both equipped with video cameras and monitoring capability. The Group Research room seats 8-10 participants. The Individual Research room seats 6 participants at private carrels with desktops. It has a separate observation room with a private entrance that offers multiple observation options.
- Behavioral Lab II Layout (45.55 KB)
|Individual Research Room||Seats 6 participants at private carrels||6|
|Group Research Room||One conference table, 8–10 chairs, private door||8-10|
- This lab has seven desktops with internet access and limited research software. Space for up to seven subjects in private carrels. This secure facility is easy to access in Carlson's lower level.
- Behavioral Lab III Layout (35.66 KB).
|Individual Research Room||Seats 7 participants in private carrels||7|
- This lab has six desktop computers equipped with internet access and limited research software; one wireless laptop for the researcher. Space for up to 6 subjects, with dividers for privacy. This secure facility offers easy access on the ground level of the Carlson School.
- Behavioral Lab IV Layout (31.04 KB)
|Individual Research Room||Seats 6 participants with dividers for privacy||6|
- This lab has six laptop computers equipped with internet access and limited research and security software, and one wireless laptop for the researcher all locked in a mobile storage cabinet.
- The Mobile Lab may be reserved and checked out through the reservation request form.
- Carlson Room reservations should be arranged separately through the appropriate departmental staff.
- Mobile Lab Layout (33.01 KB)
- Windows 7 environment
- Office 2010
- Visio 2010
- Project 2010
- Firefox/Internet Explorer
- Qualtrics service available outside of labs
- Media Lab v2012 (Lab I)
- Direct RT v2012 (Lab I)
- SPSS 19 and Amos (Lab I)
- E-Prime 2.0 (Lab I)
- Quickcam webcam (Lab II)
- 8 Dell Optiplex 780 Desktop PCs in Lab I
- 6 Dell Optiplex 780 Desktop PCs in Lab II
- 7 Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop PCs in Lab III
- 6 Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop PCs in Lab IV
- 1 Dell Latitude E6500 Laptop in Lab IV
- 6 Dell Latitude E6540 Laptops in the Mobile Lab
- Headphones available in all labs
- Printers available in all labs
- Locked supply storage available in all labs
- Locked food storage (Lab I)
Lab computers are networked behind a secured firewall. For computer security and data privacy, Deep Freeze software is installed on every lab computer. Because this software deletes all the documents and data with every reboot, researchers must know the procedures to backup their data after they have completed their experiment, before logging off the computers and leaving the lab.
Training on the required steps to prevent the loss of valuable research data is required before researchers access the computers. Behavioral Lab staff is available daily for this training. Please contact the Lab Manager at email@example.com to schedule your training session.
Limited storage is available in the labs. Locked storage may be requested on the reservation form.