2017 Program Dates: June 17 - 24
Young women interested in STEM fields are invited to explore how their passions and talents translate to business fields like management information systems, supply chain and operations, and finance at Women Mean Business. The week-long residential business challenge is open to high school sophomores or juniors. Participants will attend classes, compete in a case study competition, visit local companies and be mentored by business leaders all while living on the University of Minnesota campus.
Women Mean Business participants will:
- Channel their passions for technology by explore majors including management information systems, supply chain and operations, finance and other business fields in sample college business classes taught by world-class faculty.
- Meet women leaders, learn firsthand how to shape an exciting career in business, and participate in meaningful discussions about women in leadership roles.
- Put new lessons to work by forming teams with other participants to solve a problem for a real-world business.
- Live on the University of Minnesota and stay in a residence hall during this overnight program.
- And more!
The Women Mean Business program varies from year to year but this is a sample schedule of how classes and activites are typically arranged. Students are required to stay on campus for the entire week-long program and are not allowed to leave for any reason. This schedule is subject to change.
Approximately 50 young women will be admitted to be a part of this highly selective program. To be eligible, students must:
- Be a current high school sophomores or junior
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or better
- Demonstrate aptitude or interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) or business fields
To apply for the Women Mean Business program, the following items must be submitted:
- Online application form
- High school transcript
- Short essay
The application for the 2017 program will be available here on February 1, 2017. The submission deadline is April 1, 2017. All applicants will be notified of their admission status by May 1, 2017.
If selected for the program, students must be available to participate in the entire program. It is an overnight, residential program and students are not allowed to leave campus for any reason. The 2017 program dates are June 17 - 24.
The cost of the week-long program is $400 which includes accommodations, meals, activities, transportation during the week, and program materials.
Women Mean Business is made possible in part by support from our community partners.