Part-Time MBA Admissions - Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the admissions requirements?
Full details regarding our admissions requirements are available on the website.
The admissions committee will consider your past academic performance (official transcripts for any post-secondary coursework and GPA), standardized test scores (GMAT or GRE), work experience and current resume, personal statement, and professional references. Candidates are admitted into the program based on academic credentials and general fit for the program.
We do not have minimum GPA, GMAT, or GRE scores. Applications are reviewed as a whole and candidates are admitted into the program based on academic credentials and general fit for the program. Please look at our class profile of the students who have been admitted in the past.
The admissions committee is comprised of the assistant and associate deans, director of admissions, and associate directors of admissions. The dean of the Carlson School of Management may also participate in the review of applications on a case by case basis.
- How will my application be reviewed?
Applications are reviewed by the admissions committee which is comprised of the assistant and associate deans, director of admissions, and and associate directors of admissions. The dean of the Carlson School of Management may also participate in the review of applications on a case by case basis.
The admissions committee will consider your past academic performance (official transcripts for any post-secondary coursework and GPA), standardized test scores, work experience and current resume, personal statement, and professional references. Candidates are admitted into the program based on academic credentials and general fit for the program.
- How can I find more information about the GMAT or GRE?
The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and Graduate Record Examination are standardized computer-adaptive test used by schools to help assess the qualifications of applicants for advanced study in business or management. They measure basic verbal, mathematical, and analytical writing skills. The Carlson Part-Time MBA program requires every applicant to take either the GMAT or GRE, without exception.
Prospective students should plan to take the GMAT or GRE on or before the application due date in order to meet the application deadline. We recommend taking the GMAT or GRE at least two to four weeks prior to the application date to ensure timely review of your application. The admissions committee considers only your highest GMAT or GRE score when reviewing your application.
- What are the minimum required scores for the GMAT or GRE and GPA?
- We do not have minimum scores. GPA and GMAT or GRE scores are strong indicators of your academic potential and ability to perform in an extremely rigorous MBA program. Applications are reviewed as a whole and candidates are admitted into the program based on academic credentials and general fit for the program. Please look at our class profile of the students who have been admitted in the past.
- Does my undergraduate degree or work experience need to be in business?
- You are not required to have an undergraduate degree, coursework or work experience in business. We admit people from a broad range of academic and professional backgrounds. About one-third of our students come from a traditional business undergraduate or professional background with another third of our students with a background in technology or engineering and the last third with backgrounds in a wide variety of disciplines and functional areas (such as non-profit, education, visual and performing arts, etc.). Please look at our class profile of the students who have been admitted in the past.
- Can offers of admission be deferred to another term?
- A deferral can be requested for the next term from the student's original term of acceptance. However, admission is not automatically guaranteed. The application is put back into the applicant pool for the term in which deferral has been requested and again reviewed on its merits with other applicants in that pool. Another application fee is required. Submission of updated materials is recommended.
- What is the procedure for re-application if I am denied acceptance?
- Please contact the program office if you wish to be reconsidered for a subsequent term. You will update any necessary information in your application for that term and we will match your previously submitted test scores and transcripts to that application. New test scores or transcripts will need to be sent to us separately. Submitted application materials will be kept on file in our program office for no more than two years.
- How many credits do I need to complete my Part-Time MBA and how many should I take per semester?
- Graduation credit requirements range between 48 and 57 credits depending on course waivers. Most students start by taking two classes, then adjust their course loads accordingly in future semesters. To stay active in the program, students must complete at least two credits per calendar year.
- When are classes held?
The Part-Time MBA program is designed to be flexible for people with full-time work obligations during the day. Generally, classes meet once a week, Monday through Thursday from 5:45-9:05 p.m., Saturday mornings from 8:00-11:20 a.m., and Saturday afternoons from 12:30-3:50 p.m.
Four-credit classes meet for the full semester (14 weeks), 3-credit classes meet for 11 weeks, and 2-credit classes meet for a half semester (7 weeks) during either the A term (first half) or B term (second half). We also offer on-line and condensed courses for added flexibility.
- How long does it take to complete the program?
- The average student takes 3.5 years. Students are allowed to take up to 7 years to complete the Carlson Part-Time MBA. The program is very flexible, allowing students to accelerate or decelerate their program as needed.
- Can I earn my MBA by taking classes only on Saturday or only online?
- Unfortunately, not all of our core courses or enough of our elective classes are available either on Saturdays or online. You can take many of your classes on Saturdays and the volume of online classes is increasing every year.
- What courses are available and can I concentrate my studies in a specific area?
- The Part-Time MBA curriculum is divided between required core courses and elective courses. Students are able to choose from nearly 100 elective courses and diverse study abroad options to develop specific skills sets that meet their individual career goals.
- Do you require work experience?
- Two years of full-time, post-grad work experience are required. Professional internships can be counted toward the two year requirement. The two year requirement must be accumulated by the start of the program, not at the time of application (i.e. if you apply in the spring for a fall start date, work experience over spring and summer can count toward the two year requirement).
- What if I travel for work?
Our faculty try to be flexible about students needing to miss occasional sessions due to professional travel; such situations are resolved in advance on a case-by-case basis with the professor and student team.
Additionally, the Part-Time MBA program offers flexibility for students who travel by providing courses that start and end at different times throughout the semester. Four-credit classes meet once a week for the full 14 weeks; 3-credit classes meet for 11 weeks; and 2-credit classes meet during either the first half of the semester (A-term) or the second half (B-term). So, for example, a student who knew they needed to travel extensively during the second half of a semester could take three 2-credit courses during the A-term still earning 6 credits and no classes during the B-term when they are traveling.
- How much time will I need to spend outside of class to complete my coursework?
- The amount of time students spend outside class on readings, assignments, and team projects depends on the course, but the general guideline is that you will spend approximately 3-5 hours per class per week.
- Are there dual degree programs in the Part-Time MBA Program?
- No. All of our Dual Degree programs are highly structured and have been designed and approved by the University Regents for the Full-Time MBA Program only.
- Can I transfer from the Part-Time to the Full-Time MBA program?
- No. The Carlson Full-Time MBA program is cohorted for the first and second semester into an integrated core curriculum, meaning that the same students work in groups across several courses. The Part-Time MBA program is more flexible. Part-Time MBA students may take a full-time course load of Part-Time MBA classes (evenings and Saturdays) if they choose.
- How can I learn more about the program or discuss my application with the admissions staff?
- The best way to learn more about the Carlson Part-Time MBA program is to attend a Carlson Event where you can meet our admissions staff, hear the experiences of current students, and get answers to your questions. To discuss your application with us, please email to connect individually with someone.