The Carlson Advantage
Why a University of Minnesota Master of Arts in HRIR?
We will give you the foundation and environment you need to be successful in your career.
For more than 65 years, the University of Minnesota's Master of Arts in Human Resources and Industrial Relations program has been preparing students for successful careers by providing a thorough understanding of the core functions, contemporary practices, and underlying theories of HRIR.
- Our faculty is recognized worldwide for cutting-edge scholarship and our alumni hold leadership positions in international and national organizations.
- Program coursework covers the full spectrum of HRIR, as well as examining other key business areas such as accounting, finance, and managerial communications.
- The program attracts top recruiters from companies across the United States who are looking for interns and full-time hires, and our placement rates are excellent.
- The degree offers opportunities for students to earn credit toward their degree by studying abroad.
- The degree is available through either full-time or part-time study.
Life in the Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota is located in a major metropolitan area with a thriving business community that provides rich networking and professional development opportunities, along with numerous entertainment, recreational, and cultural attractions. A few highlights:
- The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul form the 16th largest metropolitan area in the United States.
- There are 21 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the Twin Cities area, and all but one of them are within 20 miles of the Carlson School of Management.
- There are 32 Fortune 1000 companies with their headquarters in Minnesota.
- Several of the largest privately held corporations in the world are located in the Twin Cities area.
- The Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is just 20 minutes from the Carlson School of Management, and its carriers offer nonstop flights to 131 different markets (2nd per capita in the nation), making travel in and out of the Twin Cities area very convenient.
- The Twin Cities is home to seven professional sports teams.
- Minneapolis and St. Paul combined have 100 theater companies, 130 art galleries, 35 museums, 10 dance groups and 20 classical music groups.
- There are hundreds of HRIR alumni working in the area available to serve as mentors, classroom speakers and advisers to our students.