Share Your Expertise with Students
Support MBA Admissions
This fall we will be launching our alumni conversations series, an informal interviewing program that will connect prospective MBA students with members of the Carlson community. We will be launching this program in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, New York City, San Francisco, and Washington DC. Contact Tedi Mason, Assistant Director of Admissions and Recruiting at email@example.com.
Support Students Career Preparation
Alumni play a key role in supporting students as they prepare for their careers. You can share your insights and experiences by participating in industry panels, speaking opportunities or networking events. For more information, please contact the Undergraduate Business Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Graduate Business Career Center at email@example.com.
Mentor an Undergraduate Student
The Carlson School Undergraduate Mentorship Program provides valuable career exploration and professional development opportunities by matching students with successful professionals from the Minneapolis/St. Paul business community, as well as professionals outside of Minnesota. The program is open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in developing professional, interpersonal, and networking skills critical to their success. Volunteer mentors provide guidance and sound business advice and share their personal experiences to help students prepare for the future.
Students look to mentors for encouragement, support, and the benefit of their experience. Mentors can help students obtain their goals by responding to questions, providing network connections, and giving feedback on job search skills. Mentors also serve as a resource and take an active role in shaping a future alumnus of the Carlson School of Management.
Expectations and Time Commitment
Carlson School Mentors are asked to:
- Commit to mentoring one student during the academic year (from September to April)
- Meet with your student at least once a month (in person, phone, or Skype)
- Commit to being accessible and engaged throughout the mentoring relationship
- Provide guidance and support while sharing personal and professional experiences with your student
- Have at least two years of business experience beyond your undergraduate degree
- If available, attend the Fall Mentorship Kick-Off in September, with your student (for mentors in the Twin Cities area)
There is no expectation that internships or employment opportunities will result from this experience. We make every attempt at matching the student's major and interests with the mentor's area of expertise whenever possible.
We are looking for alumni and friends of Carlson interested in being a mentor who are living internationally to be paired with students as well. If you are interested or know someone who is, please share this information with them.
Applications for the 2016-2017 Mentorship Program are now open! The priority deadline is June 30, 2016.
- Visit carlsonschool.chronus.com to access the application
- Click the ‘Join' button
- Complete the basic profile information and click the ‘Submit’ button
- Your basic information will be sent to the Mentorship Program Coordinator for review
- Once your application has been submitted, you will receive an email with details on how to complete your profile
- Profiles must be complete by July 31, 2016
- Profile information is only viewable to administrators and the student you are matched with
- Matches will be sent to mentors in early September
NOTE: If you have served as a mentor in previous years (including last year), it is necessary to complete a new application each year that you wish to participate.
If you have questions about the program or application process, please contact Chad Ellsworth at firstname.lastname@example.org.